28417Re: Czech korunas versus Czech crowns

    Oct 6, 2005

      <czechin@n...> wrote:
      > I agree with you there, Jamie ;-)

      I half-agree.

      FWIW the English pages of the Czech National Bank site seem to use
      koruna a lot more than crown with reference to the name of the
      currency. Make of that what you will.

      But as for sentences like 'A half-liter beer costs 90 Czech Koruna
      ($3.20) at a cafe in the Old Town', well, I'm all in favour of 'local
      colour', but I don't think this kind of thing is necessarily the best
      way of providing it. Still, OK in some contexts (e.g. tourist
      literature), I guess.

      And 'korunas' does sound very ungainly and unnecessary IMHO.

      Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
      you do it.
      - Mahatma Gandhi
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic