28396Re: [Czechlist] Re: Term:Doc. MUDr. CSc.

    Oct 3, 2005
      On Monday, October 3, 2005, at 06:41 PM, coilinoc wrote:

      > Moreover, as far as I know being an MUDr. does not entitle you to
      > practice medicine as a doctor in the US.  Therefore translating it as
      > MD would in effect be a mistranslation, especially if the document was
      > intended for a monolingual US reader.

      I have MUDr's and their equivalents from other countries show up in my
      classes, and they are qualified to practice medicine here if they pass
      their state medical board exams. I'm not an expert on it, but I don't
      think it's so much that the degree is different, but that the exams
      are. The ones in my classes appear to go through some ESL training,
      take their boards, and then practice medicine. So, for practical
      purposes, a MUDr. seems to be equivalent to an MD. The story I usually
      get is that a MUDr. is trained more low-tech (depending on the country)
      than the American MD is, and this is where the problems passing the
      board exams arises.