28379Re: [Czechlist] Re: Term:Doc. MUDr. CSc.

    Oct 1, 2005
      You sometimes do find people in the US with names officially rendered
      as "Joe Shmoe, M.D., Ph.D." I also happen to have known in my life a
      "Joe Shmoe, M.D., J.D.", which would mean he's "MUDr. JUDr." There is
      nothing wrong with translating MUDr. as MD and JUDr. as JD, and other
      things, as far as I know.

      There is also the problem of excessive titles used in Czech that have
      to be trimmed down for English, so that they won't sound comical. I
      once saw a Czech man's name rendered as something to the effect of "Dr.
      Prof. Ing. Jan Hajzlík, CSc." Translating all these titles into
      English would produce an absolutely ridiculous impression, and only the
      highest, most prestigious one should be used. In fact, there's
      currently a popular series of novels in English that makes fun of this
      phenomenon of serial academic titles. The characters are European
      intellectuals, and the main protagonist is "Prof. Dr. Dr. von Igelfeld"
      and his mentor, if I have it right, is "Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. Vogelsang".

      The other problem is what to do about titles that don't exist in
      English. I generally leave "Ing." out, because 99 percent of
      English-speaking readers don't know what it means. A couple of times
      I've done pieces where the inzenyrs themselves got upset with this and
      insisted the title nonetheless precede their names. I said something
      to the effect of, "Okay, but people here are going to think that most
      Czech men are named Ignac." Life imitates humor, and a year or two
      later I met some intelligent, cultured anglophones who really had
      assumed that "Ing." was the abbreviation of the men's Christian name
      and that their real first name was their middle name.

      And whatever you do, if you're translating from Hungarian into English,
      don't write the guy's name as "Shmoe Joe Professor Doctor Mister". :-)

      Jamie

      On Saturday, October 1, 2005, at 05:48 PM, kzgafas wrote:

      > I do not see anything stupid in translating MUDr as MD and CSc as PhD.
      > (Jan Novak, M.D., Ph.D.) I think if we agree on the English as
      > international language, then titles should be standardized (translated
      > into English) for the sake of international communication.
      > Even Doc. may well fit with Prof., but it depends on the context.
      >
      > K.
      >
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Amir" <amir.z@s...> wrote:
      > > Hi .. I am translating a discharge report, which contains some names
      > > of the doctors. I feel quite uncomfortable about rewriting the "Doc.
      > > MUDr. CSc." etc. into something like "associate professor .... MD,
      > > PhD" - sounds quite stupid to me. Should I leave it as it is or
      > > translate?
      > >
      > > TIA Amir
      >

      > Czechlist resources:

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "Czechlist" on the web.

      <image.tiff>