27808Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: Zaklinani zeleza

    Aug 7, 2005
      On Sunday, August 7, 2005, at 03:13 AM, spektrum2002 wrote:

      > Nemam samozrejme ten spravny cit pro jemnosti anglictiny, ale mel jsem
      > vzdycky dojem, ze "curse" je "prokleti", tedy prani, aby se tomu
      > prokletemu stalo neco zleho. "Zaklinani zeleza" bych spise chapal jako
      > prani, aby bylo zelezo nadano nejakou kouzelnou moci nebo aby
      > neskodilo.
      > Jenom na okraj pozanmenavam, ze Fronek uvadi pro"zaklinat" celou radu
      > vyrazu, ale "curse" mezi nimi neni.

      A look at Fronek shows you're right. "Zaklinat", according to Fronek,
      can involve activities that remove curses, rather than putting them on
      someone. One meaning is actually "exorcize", so that's quite the
      opposite of putting a curse on someone. Some meanings involve putting
      the whammy on someone, and not exactly a curse, per se. I think a more
      apt translation of "zaklinat", then would be to put a hex on someone,
      or a spell. In fact, if you search "hex" at Thesaurus.com, you get
      synonyms like those under the "zaklinat" entry in Fronek.

      So, would a more accurate translation (regardless of what is most
      common) be one of the following?

      Casting a Spell on Iron
      A Hex on Iron

      A curse is always evil. A hex or a spell doesn't have to be.