27803Re: TERM: Zaklinani zeleza

    Aug 6, 2005
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jarda" <jaroslav.hejzlar@t...> wrote:
      > Hi, dear listmates!
      > How would you translate the title of a piece of music called in
      Czech "Zaklínání ¾eleza" (Zaklinani zeleza). Do you think that "Curse
      upon Iron" is OK? I would highly appreciate especially opinions from
      native speakers of English.TIA.

      As far as I can make out on the search engines, "Curse upon Iron"
      seems to be a pretty common translation of Veljo Tormis's Estonian
      choral work, Raua needmine. Articles are used occasionally but I
      would not say they are necessary for a title in isolation. Looks OK to
      me and I can't find any viable alternatives.

      Sounds like a fun little number if you are into shamanistic
      incantations, which I most definitely am. How does it go? Can you
      dum-di-dum it for us?