23837Re: [Czechlist] HELP: terms

    Sep 15, 2004
      Back again.

      On Wednesday, September 15, 2004, at 08:23 AM, Jaroslav Suchánek wrote:

      > Nazdarek po prazdninach,
      > jak byste chapali slangové vyrazy v této vete:
      >
      > Primarily, the acts we support are either "up and coming" or "tried and
      > true".
      >
      > Zatím me napadlo:
      > Podporujeme především umělce typu "ukaz co umis" nebo naopak "proverena
      > kvalita"

      The problem with "ukaz co umis" is that it sounds like the newer acts
      are not experienced. "Up and coming" (if it's not used sarcastically,
      which here it is not) means that the acts are of good quality, and have
      experience, but they're young and few people know them yet.

      Another way to put that sentence in English would be:

      "We primarily support experienced, high-quality acts, both new and
      established."