23757Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM:THANKS coach/bus, NEW tiny

    Sep 6, 2004
      On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 03:00 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

      > And another thing - one of my students says that his American friends
      > correct his pronunciation of the word TINY. He pronounces it TAI (as
      > in why)
      > while they say it should be TEENI. As far as I can recall, I´ve always
      > heard
      > people say it the first way. Is either way possible? Is it perhaps a
      > local
      > thing somewere?

      What, you didn't believe me the first time?! As I said in my original
      e-mail on "coach-bus", there is something seriously wrong with those
      Americans. Your student is pronouncing "tiny" correctly, [taini].
      "Teeny" [ti:ni] is a different word. It is informal, and it means
      something smaller than tiny. It's not a local thing. Your student's
      American friends are ignorant.