23077Re: Thoughts, opinions, rank speculation requested

  • jsyeaton
    Jul 1, 2004
      Martin Janda wrote: (about self-publishing)

      > Not very sure about it - the market is small and over-saturated. And
      you
      > still need to negotiate copyrights, arrange a printing house, do
      marketing,
      > sales, .... and then to wait if the whole of hassle pays off or not.
      >
      > Unless you publish printed soap operas, of course...

      This takes more of a talent for business than I personally have.
      Self-publishing is a way of keeping start-up costs to a minimum,
      marketing (I think) is done via the Internet, maybe printing
      on-demand... It's an idea, but not for me. The market is saturated
      with books for 200+ Kc, but what if the cost were half that? (This is
      a guess, I haven't looked into the finances; if anybody's interested,
      I think it's the featured topic of this month's Writer's Digest
      magazine, but I don't know where you can buy it in the CR.)

      Kc,
      > most

      > > > No, mne to teda jako Golden Age nezni. Dejme tomu, ze by
      literarni
      > > > prekladatel vydelal 100,- za NS. Aby vydelal mirne nadprumernych
      > 20.000,-
      > > > (tim ovsem myslim ve srovnani s republikovym prumerem, pro
      > prekladatele je
      > > > to malo) za mesic, musel by pri 20 pracovnich dnech za den
      > zvladnout 10
      > > NS.
      > > > Pokud by neslo primo o detektivky nebo Harlekyny, kde se opakuji
      > stale
      > > tytez
      > > > situace a fraze, je podle mne toto tempo nemozne, vzdyt tento
      druh
      > > prekladu
      > > > je v podstate umelecka cinnost, tam clovek nemuze mechanicky jet
      > jako na
      > > > bezicim pasu, jako u pravnickych, technickych apod. prekladu.
      > > > Z toho pro mne plyne jedine, literarnimi preklady se slusne
      uzivit
      > neda,
      > > je
      > > > to vlastne takova charitativni cinnost, vhodna tak pro
      > prekladatele v
      > > > duchodu, kteri si reknou, ze by po sobe taky meli neco
      hodnotneho
      > > zanechat,
      > > > alias "zasad strom, postav dum, zplod potomka a preloz knihu."
      > > >
      > > > Petr

    • Show all 31 messages in this topic