      From: JPKIRCHNER@... [mailto:JPKIRCHNER@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 2:26 PM
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] What does "should" actually mean??????

      You can use various expressions instead of "must".

      For example:

      "Protective clothing is required when handling..."
      "Wear protective clothing when handling..."
      "It is necessary to wear protective clothing when..."

      "Do not allow anyone under 16 to operate this vehicle."
      "This vehicle is to be driven by people 16 and over."

      One of the problems here is that we don't have a word for "nesm�".
      Czechs
      say the English word for it is "mustn't", but that is hardly ever used
      in
      America and it sounds humorous to us. The only close replacement, if
      you want to
      use a modal, is "shouldn't".

      I don't know how US courts have interpreted "should". For all I know
      they
      may have interpreted it as equivalent to "must" in some cases. Or else
      it's
      possible that some courts interpret it one way, and others interpret it
      another. Besides, in a country where you can be sued for "excessive
      eye contact",
      "insufficient eye contact", or even for saying, "Excuse me, ladies,"
      there is
      no way to completely eliminate your exposure to lawsuits.

      If something is imperative, use "must" or some other expression that
      shows it
      is imperative. If it's only a recommendation, use "should". Better
      to be
      safe than sorry.

      Czechlist Users' Guide:

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c7bhivm/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
      roupweb/S=1705043588:HM/EXP=1078320381/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141rnchc9/*http
      :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
      300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?>

      Click Here
      <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
      ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078233981665268?> Click Here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
      pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=239005154>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links