18618Re: Ulysses S. Grant

    Jan 1, 2004
      Hi Joe,

      Had a look at your web-site and I really enjoyed the cool Czech Texan stuff. Gonna have to learn Texas Czech polka dancing. Whooee. Do you get much opportunity to speak Czech over there?
      > I accept!

      Oh good. I was worried you might start haggling about the beer-to-lemonade ratio.
      > English beverages are just fine, but don't forget that we like them
      > cold.

      Very well. I have turned off the radiators in my living room so that you can enjoy the authentic room-temperature taste which I am now about to telepathize over to you....

      > (Although that is a strange way to make lemonade.)

      What? With lemons? Why? What do you use?

      > Truth is truth,

      It only looks like that if you squint a lot. ::-)

      > I'm not one to re-write history.

      No, but you are implicitly saying that Ulysses S. Grant rewrote history, which he may well have done, of course, but then he was entitled to because it was his bl**ming name. But let's not go into all that again.

      >so I guess that became a middle name by common usage.

      Ah, is common usage a prerequisite for truth??

      > And "W" does stand for Walker in my part of the country.

      You keep Walker out of this. :-) What's he got to do with anything anyway?

      > Czech
      > language doesn't have a "W", does it?

      The web as a whole and individual websites can be referred to in Czech as 'web' or 'www' (pronounced 'veb' and 'veveve' respectively). As Petr points out, there are plenty of Czech words beginning with w but some mysteriously turn into v's overnight when nobody is looking. W leads a kind of shadowy half-existence in the Czech language. Like the S. in Ulysses S. Grant.

      -- Or an "X"

      Ale existuje, existuje.

      or "Q"?

      Kind of exists and doesn't exist. Mostly it doesn't exist but very occasionally you will see a word like quijotsky, e.g. in my Poldauf dictionary.
      > I lurk here because I'm trying to learn from the pros.

      Same here, mate.

      Best regards,

    • Show all 36 messages in this topic