16198Re: TERM: kalium

  • kzgafas
    Jul 3, 2003
      > karel6005 wrote:
      >
      > >>I was advised to leave it in English as "kalium" ...
      > >>

      > >IMHO this would be strange. . . . I would
      > >never use "kalium" in English myself.
      > >

      > Fwiw, I'm with Karel. Most of the native English pages I see with
      > kalium are merely explaining where the symbol comes from: e.g.,
      > "potassium, symbol Ka after the Latin kalium" or the like. I'd use
      > potassium, after the good native English pot ash.

      Thanks to Karel and Michael. I agree with both. As bio/chemist, I
      have NEVER EVER heard the Latine term "kalium" for potassium (K)
      being used among chemists in Czech or English. That's why I was
      surprised to see it in the Czech medical paper I am translating to
      English. But a Czech M.D. friend of mine said Czech physicians
      use "kalium" for potassium in most occasions, they almost never
      use "draslik".

      Kostas
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic