16169Re: TERM: kalium

  • karel6005
    Jul 1 2:04 PM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
      > "Kalium" is often used by Czech physicians for potassium, instead
      of "draslik".

      kalium \Ka"li*um\, n. [NL. See Kali.] (Chem.) Potassium; -- so called
      by the German chemists.

      Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA,
      Inc.

      > I was advised to leave it in English as "kalium" ...

      IMHO this would be strange. See the authoritative NIH's PubMed
      database: kalium - 55 hits (frequently English of Chinese and similar
      origin), potassium - 140114 hits.

      I am not a NS but still exposed to the language since the age of 4
      and bit later exposed to hundreds of pages of medical texts. I would
      never use "kalium" in English myself.

      HTH

      Karel
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic