11177RE: [Czechlist] TBfaGE: zamek

  • Rubková
    May 1, 2002
      >So a military structure from the 17th century or later would be, what, a
      pevnost?

      That's right.

      > What about a stately but unfortified residence from the Middle Ages (or
      did everything have to be fortified back then)?

      All stately residences from Middle Ages were in fact fortified. Castles, or
      unfortified stately residences started to be built in period when
      fortification of residences was not further needed and was in fact useless
      especially because of development of weapons. We got this esplanation, which
      sounds quite reasonable, during our studies.

      Sarka