Kolache Recipe

  • gvacek1
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005
      Who has a good one to share?
    • Timothy Ferry
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005

        INGREDIENTS:

        • 1/2 cup warm water
        • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
        • 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
        • 1/2 cup white sugar
        • 1 teaspoon salt
        • 1/2 cup melted shortening
        • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
        • 2 eggs
        • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
        • 2 egg yolks
        • 3 tablespoons white sugar
        • 1/8 teaspoon salt
        • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        • 1 cup raisins
        • 2 cups cottage cheese

        DIRECTIONS:

        1. Pour yeast into 1/2 cup of lukewarm water. Set aside to soak.
        2. In a separate bowl mix together 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup melted shortening and 2 cups sifted flour. Beat well. Add in 2 beaten eggs and yeast mixture and mix well. Set aside to rest until bubbly and spongy.
        3. Add 3 1/2 cups of flour and blend well. Set aside to rise for 1 hour. Punch down and let rise again for 1 hour.
        4. To Make Filling: Beat together 2 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup of raisins. Add cottage cheese and mix well.
        5. Pinch off 1 inch balls from dough and press an indentation in the center of each. Put filling in. Let rise 15 minutes, then bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) until golden - 12-18 minutes.

        gvacek1 <gvacek1@...> wrote:
        Who has a good one to share?

      • Greg Vacek
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
          Tim:

          Thank you very much!
          My father will be 84 yrs old this Sat. and you just helped me
          give  him a memory from the "old country"

          Greg Vacek

          Timothy Ferry <cheftimf@...> wrote:

[...]

          gvacek1 <gvacek1@...> wrote:
          Who has a good one to share?