Re: i bought a cybiko classsic from ebay!!

  • Dennis K. Deckmann
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2006
      Why don't you lighten up a little. Let's face it, this conference is
      pretty much dead anyway, no doubt YOUR attitude has played a part in
      this, MORE than any amount of SPAM or off, in YOUR OPINION, posts.
      You're acting like the neighborhood kook that sits on his porch and
      hollers to the kids down the street to stay off of HIS lawn...

      He has a Cybiko and is looking for SOFTWARE. It seems that a Cybiko
      SOFTWARE group must might be a reasonable place to begin looking...

      You ought to be glad someone has a mutual interest in an out-of-
      production, no longer supported product. Maybe with a little
      encouragement HE might actually contribute a little programming
      effort...

      I don't remember ever seeing a welcome wagon being pulled by pit
      bulls...

      --- In CybikoDev@yahoogroups.com, WhollyMindless <whollymindless@...>
      wrote:

      > Mr. Sanford:
      >
      > When you applied for membership to the Cybiko DEVELOPERS mailing
      list
      > you were informed that this list is NOT for this kind of message
      but for
      > people doing development on cybiko hardware. We are happy that you
      > picked one up, but disappointed that you didn't pay attention to
      the
      > purpose of this list.
      >
      > I have placed you on "moderated" status to allow an admin to review
      any
      > post by you to ensure it is on topic and appropriate for this
      list. Any
      > other information, such as what you're looking for may often be
      found by
      > a simple Google search.
      >
      > To other members - Sorry for the off topic post.

    • Dennis K. Deckmann
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2006
        Thank you for providing the link. Read on...

        --- In CybikoDev@yahoogroups.com, "ultramagneus" <ultramagneus@...>
        wrote:

        > this would probabally be the best place to ask general questions
        about
        > the cybiko http://planetcybiko.net/forums/index.php?act=home

        AGREED.

        > and, was it really nessicary to put him on moderation? i know this
        is
        > a dev list, but the cybiko comunity isnt exactly over flowing with
        new
        > members...

        BUT I don't feel intimidated enough to grovel and suck-up to the high
        and mighty god of the Cybiko conference...

        > i dont mean to undermine you, and i respect that its your decision
        > make, but, the cybiko comunity isnt exactly very large, and we
        should
        > be doing everything we can to get more members in it. not drive
        them away

      • Dennis K. Deckmann
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2006
          The Cybiko certainly has the hardware to be a fine robotic controller
          or simply a dumb terminal for another controller. Hopefully your
          answer will be forthcoming... of course discussion of hardware
          hacking, robotics, PS2 keyboards, soldering irons, or magnifying
          glasses, or anything except the Cybiko development software is
          strictly forbidden and you will be forever moderated or worse...

          --- In CybikoDev@yahoogroups.com, "John Kjellman" <jkjellman@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am a programmer by profession and a robot hacker by hobby. I
          recently
          > picked up about 5 Cybiko classics and wanted to hack them for use
          in some
          > robotics projects I was thinking about. The simplest would be to
          use them
          > for remote debugging (basically a wireless serial connection) which
          I have
          > seen software for. The more complex would involve removing the
          case and
          > shrinking down the Cybiko as much as possible to allow it to be
          used as a
          > controller for a robot.
          >
          > So along those lines, is there an official list of developer
          resources for
          > the Cybiko classic? I bought the only book I could find and what
          it lists
          > is dated/no longer on the internet. What I am looking for is one
          of the
          > following (in order of preference):
          >
          > 1) Some way to overwrite the OS (without destroying my Cybiko :-)
          with one
          > that gives a developer better control over the resources
          available. I found
          > some information about someone trying to do this but it was very
          dated and
          > sounded like you ended up with a dead Cybiko as there was no way to
          return
          > it to it's original condition.
          >
          > 2) Some way to perform C programming and access any available I/O
          ports for
          > external I/O (I know this may require disassembly of my Cybiko).
          >
          > 3) Some way to reprogram the AVR that controls the RF hardware.
          This would
          > allow using extra I/O ports as well as possibly gaining a
          coprocessor for
          > non-communications needs.
          >
          > I am fairly handy with a soldering iron (mostly through hole stuff)
          and
          > don't mind hacking up my Cybiko if the ends justify the means.
          >
          > One last thing. Has anyone looked at hacking the Cybiko to reduce
          it form
          > factor and possibly interfacing to a real keyboard? I know
          interfacing a
          > PS/2 keyboard to an AVR isn't a big deal if you know the timing,
          but I
          > didn't know if the Cybiko keyboard is read by the CPU via maxtrixed
          I/O
          > lines or if there is an intermediary controller, etc. Guess I
          should crack
          > out the schematic and my magnifying glass.
          >
          > Take care,
          > KJohn

        • Trevor Burdick
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2006
            why don't you get a grip. its a mailing list. grow up.

            http://pocketpcapps.net
            skype: greytrev

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2006
              Carpe Burdick.

              It's an online forum that is dying and the so called moderator
              launched an attack on a new user, a rarity here, simply because the
              guy asked about obtaining some software in a software conference.
              Where else better to get software than from a developer?

              Hey! You kids, you down there, stay out of my yard...