Gameboy

  • Christopher & Carol Hardy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
      Ok, this is probably a long shot but here goes. I have 3 kids and
      each of them have a cybiko extreme with mp3 player and 64mb sd card
      (got them cheap on e-bay). I have recently aquired some gameboy roms
      (the original where it used the old monochrome display) and would
      love to find an emulator to play them on the cybiko. My search
      turned up many for the pc but none for the Cybiko. I wont pretend to
      know much about programming but I do know that some of these
      emulators are written in C and that there is a way to convert this to
      a format that will run on the Cybiko. If anyone can help I would
      love to hear from you
    • WhollyMindless
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
        Message
        I just did a little checking and I agree with you - I think you're going to have some troubles.

        Memory could be some troubles as emulating the cart would be really tough without the SD memory available.
        CPU looks to be almost fast enough 11 MHz vs 4.1 MHz (GBC) but because the architecture is different more CPU might be necessary.  Emulating sprites and tiles would use a good bit of CPU too.

        But the real stopper is screen space.  Both have 160 pixels wide but the GBC is 144 pixels long while the Cybiko is only 100 high.

        I just can see scrolling or compression as acceptable solutions.  And since the vast majority of GB games are for the color variant, you'd be hard pressed to tell Pikachu from the background.

        There might be opportunities for emulation of older/smaller machines - maybe a very limited Mame would work.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          Message
          I just can't see scrolling or compression as acceptable solutions - sorry, I had a brain fart.