Linux for Cybiko

  • devdapimp00
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2004
      Hi all I am currently planning to write a small linux kernel port for
      cybiko. The main problems I am running into so far is getting rid of
      CyOS (I am using a cybiko extreme for development), the flash file
      system info, and detail documentation so I can write drivers for the
      lcd, keyboard, speaker, etc... If I can't get rid of CyOS I guess I
      will have to do a hack and have linux emulated by having my
      application start after CyOS boots. If anyone has any ideas or can
      help me obtain my goal email me or reply to this message. Thanks in
      advance.
    • Philip Pemberton
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2004
        In message <c786h3+2buh@...> you wrote:

        > Hi all I am currently planning to write a small linux kernel port for
        > cybiko. The main problems I am running into so far is getting rid of
        > CyOS (I am using a cybiko extreme for development),
        I'm using a Cybiko Classic, UK version.
        Bootloading a new CyOS (or the Linux kernel) shouldn't be particularly
        difficult - use the CyOS bootloader in "OS Loader" mode. You can't kill the
        CyOS loader, IIRC - it's part of the CPU's internal ROM.
        There's a full memory map for the Cybiko at
        http://www.devrs.com/cybiko/files/memmap.txt . What I'd like to know is how
        the "Internal I/O Registers" are arranged and what the AVR on the motherboard
        does.
        This information probably exists somewhere - the Cybiko emulator (C4PC?)
        couldn't have been written without knowing what the internal registers do.

        > the flash file
        > system info, and detail documentation so I can write drivers for the
        > lcd, keyboard, speaker, etc...
        You'll probably have to tear the CyOS code apart and reverse engineer it. Or
        reverse-engineer the hardware...

        Later,
        --
        Phil. | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
        philpem@... | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2004
          I wish I could help ya on that but I don't really know anything about that.
          I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to do can not be done with the
          console. But my best of luck to you on this. That's a damn good idea.
        • devdapimp00
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2004
            --- In CybikoDev@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Balough" <scalloped_llama@h...>
            wrote:
            > I wish I could help ya on that but I don't really know anything
            about that.
            > I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to do can not be done with the
            > console. But my best of luck to you on this. That's a damn good idea.

            Well as Philip has pointed out before there is no way to replace the
            CyOS bios rom with software alone... you would have to make a chip
            with your own rom program to boot the Cybiko. I think that using the
            emulator and doing things on a trial and error basis will prove a lot
            of insight on accessing the various hardware directly... but for
            practical use this would be hard as I don't really know much about
            soldering and adding/replacing chips. The only way I can think of now
            to implement a linux environment is through emulation after letting
            CyOS boot up. Having a virtual machine over an existing one (that what
            CyOS is) should prove very interesting task as far as performance is
            concerned. I will work and see what I can do at most I want to have a
            X-windows like environemt running and an API that will allow porting
            existing linux applications considering limited memory.
          • Philip Pemberton
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2004
              In message <c7hsdf+rmbs@...>
              "devdapimp00" <devdapimp00@...> wrote:

              > Well as Philip has pointed out before there is no way to replace the
              > CyOS bios rom with software alone...
              Yes there is. CyOS is composed of two sections - CyOS itself (stored in the
              CyOS Flash, 256k) and the CyOS Bootloader (stored inside the H8 CPU).
              The only thing I need to know is how the bootloader decompresses the
              compressed CyOS images and how to get the CyOS loader to burn them into Flash
              ROM.
              The schematics for the Cybiko are "out there" - I've got inkjet copies of
              them. ATM, I just need to find someone who has a copy of the bootloader
              source code or someone who knows enough H8 assembler to disassemble the
              "decompress_image" section of the loader and work out how the comms protocol
              works.

              Later.
              --
              Phil. | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
              philpem@... | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
              http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/ | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
              ... Pop Tarts. Perhaps the most disgusting thing you can put in a toaster.
            • Tim Schuerewegen
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                On the model 2 classic cybiko the CyOS .boot file is not compressed (magic
                0x1234ABCD), which makes sense, because it is ran from memory mapped
                flashrom (0x00100000 - ..) directly without the need of decompressing it and
                putting it into ram first and running it from there like the model 1 classic
                cybiko. However, when the bootloader (rom) receives a .boot file through the
                serial interface it will put it in ram (0x00200000 - ..) and run it from
                there. I will see if I can find the source code (currently MIA) for the
                "hwrip.boot" file if you/anyone are interested.

              • Philip Pemberton
                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                  In message <200405080849.i488neZx016014@...>
                  "Tim Schuerewegen" <Tim.Schuerewegen@...> wrote:

                  > On the model 2 classic cybiko the CyOS .boot file is not compressed (magic
                  > 0x1234ABCD), which makes sense, because it is ran from memory mapped
                  > flashrom (0x00100000 - ..) directly without the need of decompressing it and
                  > putting it into ram first and running it from there like the model 1 classic
                  > cybiko.
                  OK, then. Uncompressed it is. My Cybikos are both Model 2 units - i.e. reset
                  button instead of power switch.

                  > However, when the bootloader (rom) receives a .boot file through the
                  > serial interface it will put it in ram (0x00200000 - ..) and run it from
                  > there.
                  But the problem is, how do you move the bootrom from RAM to Flash? I know the
                  Cybiko uses an SST SST39VF020 flash rom, so I could (theoretically) write a
                  re-flashing tool. I suspect the bootloader expects a valid bootsector though;
                  the text in the bootloader binary suggests that it runs some checks on the
                  flash before booting it :-/

                  > I will see if I can find the source code (currently MIA) for the
                  > "hwrip.boot" file if you/anyone are interested.
                  That would be great. What programming language did you use? Assembler?

                  Thanks.
                  --
                  Phil. | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
                  philpem@... | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
                  http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/ | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
                  Error 8472. Borg dumped.
                • Tim Schuerewegen
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                    I was able to find most of the "hwrip.boot" source code. You can download it
                    from http://users.skynet.be/firefly/cybiko/download/hwrip_src.zip

                    The source code in its current form compiles but does not link using GCC due
                    to missing mempcy, printf, and other functions because I originally used the
                    HEW compiler and just now tried to convert it to GCC. Feel free to use any
                    parts of the source code (flash, lcd, rs232, etc) in other projects.

                  • Tim Schuerewegen
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2004
                      > But the problem is, how do you move the bootrom from RAM to Flash? I know
                      > the Cybiko uses an SST SST39VF020 flash rom, so I could (theoretically)
                      > write a re-flashing tool. I suspect the bootloader expects a valid
                      > bootsector though; the text in the bootloader binary suggests that it
                      > runs some checks on the flash before booting it :-/

                      I suggest you capture the serial data when doing a full "autoupdate". You
                      will then see which commands the autoupdate program sends to the cybiko and
                      how the .boot file should be flashed. I did this myself once but could not
                      find the captured data any more, probably lost during a HD crash or
                      re-install of the OS :(
                    • Philip Pemberton
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9, 2004
                        In message <200405080940.i489eLa1020679@...>
                        "Tim Schuerewegen" <Tim.Schuerewegen@...> wrote:

                        > I was able to find most of the "hwrip.boot" source code. You can download it
                        > from http://users.skynet.be/firefly/cybiko/download/hwrip_src.zip
                        Wow. Just out of interest, where did you get the list of OS bootloader hooks
                        (in rom.h) from?

                        > The source code in its current form compiles but does not link using GCC due
                        > to missing mempcy, printf, and other functions because I originally used the
                        > HEW compiler and just now tried to convert it to GCC.
                        It sounds like you might have forgotten to link in the standard libraries.
                        I'll have a look at the code a bit later.

                        > Feel free to use any
                        > parts of the source code (flash, lcd, rs232, etc) in other projects.

                        Thanks,
                        --
                        Phil. | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
                        philpem@... | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
                        http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/ | 48xCD, ARCINv6c IDE, SCSI
                        ... Smash forehead against keyboard to continue...
                      • automatederror
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 23, 2004
                          Psst! Aren't you the person responsible for C4PC? :)
                          Any chance of the source for C4PC being release?
                          It's not a project I'd personally like to delve into but I think
                          others might want. I'd like to see it just out of curiousity.
                        • Rob Kenyon
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 23, 2004
                            Message
                            Was this supposed to be to someone in particular?

                            Wholly