OT: Memory Cards for Classic Cybiko?

  • mpoohv
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
      Questions:

      1. Anyone know where you can still buy memory cards for the Cybiko
      Classic? I bought two Cybikos about two years ago when my kids were
      probably a little to young for them (9 years old), and they're just
      now taking a significant interest in them. Of course, now Cybiko.com
      doesn't really support the Cybiko Classic very well, especially not
      with accessories.

      2. Am I better off just using the MP3 player and a SmartMedia card
      for additional memory/storage? I realize that I will have to go
      through the explorer like interface to run the games, but...it's
      better than nothing. Will that work with games that say, "Require
      memory card" or does that type of game/app typically specifically
      address the genuine Cybiko memory card?

      3. Since a PCMCIA memory card fits in that slot, has anyone figured
      out how to get one to work with the Cybiko? I've tried a variety of
      them, including more proprietary ones used for network routers, older
      notebook computers, and PDAs, but to no avail! Anyone tried anything
      like this?

      Thanks for any info, and sorry this is offtopic, but there really
      isn't another group with the knowledgebase of this one.

      -- Chris
    • MPoohV
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2002

        Oh, I figured the pinouts were different, but I was wondering if anyone had
        figure out what it would take to make something standard work...maybe an
        adapter or a procedure for opening up an older 2mb PCMCIA memory card and
        rewire some pins, etc. I'm surprised this isn't something someone has tried
        since so many of the apps and especially the games require this memory card
        yet you just can't get them from Cybiko.com any longer since the Classic is
        pretty much orphanned.
      • gengar560
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2002
          --- In CybikoDev@y..., "mpoohv" <MPoohV@s...> wrote:
          > Questions:
          >
          > 1. Anyone know where you can still buy memory cards for the Cybiko
          > Classic? I bought two Cybikos about two years ago when my kids
          were
          > probably a little to young for them (9 years old), and they're just
          > now taking a significant interest in them. Of course, now
          Cybiko.com
          > doesn't really support the Cybiko Classic very well, especially not
          > with accessories.
          Nope. Try eBay. I may sell my memory card (I think I have two, don't
          remember... haven't used it in a long time).

          > 2. Am I better off just using the MP3 player and a SmartMedia card
          > for additional memory/storage? I realize that I will have to go
          > through the explorer like interface to run the games, but...it's
          > better than nothing. Will that work with games that say, "Require
          > memory card" or does that type of game/app typically specifically
          > address the genuine Cybiko memory card?
          It's up to you. This MP3 player method gives you more storage (as
          much as 128MB I believe), but its slower I think. You go through
          explorer with the memory card too. No, games that say "require memory
          card" won't work with the MP3 player memory because they need the RAM
          from the genuine memory card.

          Try the Cybiko Forums at http://www.cybla.com/yabbse

          > -- Chris

          -- Elliot