Sound, beep, driver

  • bazyle butcher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2002
      Anyone know how the sound is produced? Is it an I/O line run by one of the
      timers or one of the spare serial ports. Is there a good way to use it at
      the low level.
      Are such things handled by a scheduler, as I understand it is not a single
      string OS.
      I would like to use it at higher frequency for an IR tx pulse drive.
      Also what about the vibration motor drive, I would like to put a relay
      driver on that.
      Baz
    • Matthias
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2002
        bazyle butcher wrote:

        > Anyone know how the sound is produced? Is it an I/O line run by one of the
        > timers or one of the spare serial ports. Is there a good way to use it at
        > the low level.
        > Are such things handled by a scheduler, as I understand it is not a single
        > string OS.

        AFAIK its connected to a counter in the processor that is programmed to
        generate frequencies. To transmit data via an IR Led, you'd have to
        change the modulation pretty quickly. I don't know if bytcode programs
        can be fast enough for that.

        > I would like to use it at higher frequency for an IR tx pulse drive.
        > Also what about the vibration motor drive, I would like to put a relay
        > driver on that.

        I am sure that that is no big problem if you use a small relay. since
        both are inductive loads. You could measure the power that the motor
        draws with an ampere meter in line with the motor and go out and find a
        similar relay. Therer are also relay cards out there that can be drive
        via the serial port. (same for IR)