.boot file structure?

  • Chris Osborn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2002
      Does anyone have documentation on the .boot file structure? I've
      seen a couple of messages in the archive where people created their
      own .boot file. I've got a disassembler now (although it's for an
      H8/300, hopefully it'll work) and I'd like to know where to look
      in the .boot file for the code, and where it gets loaded in RAM.

      ---
      DON'T PAY MORE FOR WEB HOSTING THAN WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY
      At Full System, Inc. you invent the package *and* the price!
      Point your browser to http://custom.fullsystem.com/
    • Tim Schuerewegen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2002

        #ifdef CYBIKO_CLASSIC

          #define CYBIKO_ADDR_RAM   0x00200000

          #define CYBIKO_ADDR_CYOS  0x00100000

          #define CYBIKO_SIZE_CYOS  0x00040000

        #else

          #define CYBIKO_ADDR_RAM   0x00400000

          #define CYBIKO_ADDR_CYOS  0x00600000

          #define CYBIKO_SIZE_CYOS  0x00080000

        #endif

        The boot file is stored on a flashrom (model 2 classic and xtreme) at address 0x00100000 (classic) or 0x00600000 (xtreme), the model 1 classic loaded it from serial flash into ram.

        Can’t seem to find my own boot file source code, but an uncompressed boot file should start with a 12 34 AB CD signature.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2002

          This was in the crt0.s file that I used when building my own boot file(s) ... the “magic” 4 bytes followed by the address of the main function, pretty easy & straightforward.

                      .h8300h

                      .long     0x1234ABCD

                      .long   _main

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2002
            On Tue, 14 May 2002, Tim Schuerewegen wrote:

            > 2) On model 2 classic & xtreme Cybiko's, the boot file is stored
            > on a flashrom, it doesn't need to get loaded into ram, that's only done
            > by a model 1 classic Cybiko, which don't have that flashrom.

            What about when the .boot file is sent over the serial port during the
            startup process? Is the .boot file relocatable and can be loaded at any
            address? Or is it hardcoded to expect to live at a certain place?

            > 3) If I recall correctly, then only the model 1 boot files are
            > compressed to save space, a model 2 boot file is always decompressed.

            The first 4 bytes on the CyRS_119.boot, which is for a model 2, are
            0x01 0xc0 0xff 0xab
          • Tim Schuerewegen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 17, 2002
              1. When a boot file is sent to the Cybiko during the startup process, it will get decompressed/loaded into ram and executed instead of the “standard” boot file.
              2. CyRS_119.boot is not the standard boot file, try cyos1.3.58.boot, it is not compressed