Hi there... eh, hi Jeff :)

  • Sam Nova
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi there

      Question to everybody on the list (Jeff).

      Will the Cybiko be sold out side of the US ?

      Is there a market for it ?

      It does have all that nice wireless chatting and so. But how many have been sold ? (No fun to be the only one and chat to yourself!!!)

      And are there any publishers ? (any commerical games ?)

      Just a few questions to get it all started !!!

      - Sam
    • Jeff Frohwein
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
        Hey Sam, :)

        > Sam Nova wrote:
        >
        > Hi there
        >
        > Question to everybody on the list (Jeff).
        >
        > Will the Cybiko be sold out side of the US ?

        It looks like you can get it in the UK from http://www.etoys.co.uk
        I haven't located any other outside-US locations yet though.

        > Is there a market for it ?

        I think it's one of those geek toys that every geek has to have. ;)
        The main complaint of it seems to be that the small keyboard is
        very hard to use. You probably have to use a stylus rather than
        fingers to operate the letters/numbers.

        > It does have all that nice wireless chatting and so. But how many have been sold ?
        > (No fun to be the only one and chat to yourself!!!)

        Good question. I would assume with the free mp3 player that they are
        throwing in for a short time that you might get alot of people buying
        it just for that feature.

        > And are there any publishers ? (any commerical games ?)

        I don't think any yet except the makers.

        It does sound to me, though, that this is the first hand-held
        game system(?) where it would be practical for anyone to sell their
        own game off a web site. Since every user has the ability to load
        your game, you have a market that includes all owners.

        The first popular, open-system handheld game system? 8)

        Jeff
      • Sam Nova
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000

          > > Will the Cybiko be sold out side of the US ?
          >
          > It looks like you can get it in the UK from http://www.etoys.co.uk
          >I haven't located any other outside-US locations yet though.

          Okay. time will tell.

          > > Is there a market for it ?
          >
          > I think it's one of those geek toys that every geek has to have. ;)
          >The main complaint of it seems to be that the small keyboard is
          >very hard to use. You probably have to use a stylus rather than
          >fingers to operate the letters/numbers.

          Do geeks play lots of games ? or are you talking about KIDS ? :)

          > > It does have all that nice wireless chatting and so. But how many have
          > been sold ?
          > > (No fun to be the only one and chat to yourself!!!)
          >
          > Good question. I would assume with the free mp3 player that they are
          >throwing in for a short time that you might get alot of people buying
          >it just for that feature.

          YEP. I would say so.. How much mem does it have 512 KB ? not much for a MP3
          :) But if you then use the extra memory extension also !! or maybe the MP3
          addon have its own memory.. Lets hope so :)

          > > And are there any publishers ? (any commerical games ?)
          >
          > I don't think any yet except the makers.
          >
          > It does sound to me, though, that this is the first hand-held
          >game system(?) where it would be practical for anyone to sell their
          >own game off a web site. Since every user has the ability to load
          >your game, you have a market that includes all owners.

          I agree..

          > The first popular, open-system handheld game system? 8)

          But if it is too open then you cant pay your bills :)

          What does people think about the GP32 ? I kind of like it and would like to
          get into that.. If I had time :(

          Cheers,

          Sam

          PC, PlayStation and GameBoy Color developer.

          Sam Nova
          Novalicious
          Bündtenstr 3B
          4419 Lupsingen
          Switzerland
          Phone: +41 - 61 911 03 66
          Cell phone: +41 - 79 455 71 14
          Fax: +41 - 61 911 03 66

          sam@...
          http://www.novalicious.com
        • Jeff Frohwein
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
            Sam Nova wrote:
            > > I think it's one of those geek toys that every geek has to have. ;)
            > >The main complaint of it seems to be that the small keyboard is
            > >very hard to use. You probably have to use a stylus rather than
            > >fingers to operate the letters/numbers.
            >
            > Do geeks play lots of games ? or are you talking about KIDS ? :)

            Aren't all of us geeks always kids? :) heh...

            > > > It does have all that nice wireless chatting and so. But how many have
            > > been sold ?
            > > > (No fun to be the only one and chat to yourself!!!)
            > >
            > > Good question. I would assume with the free mp3 player that they are
            > >throwing in for a short time that you might get alot of people buying
            > >it just for that feature.
            >
            > YEP. I would say so.. How much mem does it have 512 KB ? not much for a MP3
            > :) But if you then use the extra memory extension also !! or maybe the MP3
            > addon have its own memory.. Lets hope so :)

            Thae part that sucks is this the free player is only offered to US residents.
            It comes with no memory but has an SMC slot where you can add up to 64MBytes.

            > > The first popular, open-system handheld game system? 8)
            >
            > But if it is too open then you cant pay your bills :)

            Good point...

            > What does people think about the GP32 ? I kind of like it and would like to
            > get into that.. If I had time :(

            That http://www.gp32.com site is either awful or they haven't yet
            released the thing. No real info on their site on how to get one
            as far as I can tell.

            Jeff
          • Sam Nova
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000

              > > Do geeks play lots of games ? or are you talking about KIDS ? :)
              >
              > Aren't all of us geeks always kids? :) heh...

              and WE never grow up :)

              > > > been sold ?
              > > >
              > > > Good question. I would assume with the free mp3 player that they are
              > > >throwing in for a short time that you might get alot of people buying
              > > >it just for that feature.
              > >
              > > YEP. I would say so.. How much mem does it have 512 KB ? not much for a MP3
              > > :) But if you then use the extra memory extension also !! or maybe the MP3
              > > addon have its own memory.. Lets hope so :)
              >
              > Thae part that sucks is this the free player is only offered to US
              > residents.
              >It comes with no memory but has an SMC slot where you can add up to 64MBytes.

              Doh to the US part (Can I order through you :) but cool with the SMC slot.

              > > > The first popular, open-system handheld game system? 8)
              > >
              > > But if it is too open then you cant pay your bills :)
              >
              > Good point...

              Not that I mind cool gadgets. But in the end we need money to live for. So
              my time is limited to what I can choose to work on :( Damn I hate this
              sometimes.. So many ideas so many cool kits, and NO time :(

              > > What does people think about the GP32 ? I kind of like it and would like to
              > > get into that.. If I had time :(
              >
              > That http://www.gp32.com site is either awful or they haven't yet
              >released the thing. No real info on their site on how to get one
              >as far as I can tell.

              eh... did you check the site recently ? it changed a LOT. and no it is not
              out yet :( (AFAIK).

              It does have all the nice wireless stuff (well, short distance) and
              supports download of games.... But will it ever have a market !!! Time will
              tell.

              But what the GamePark does that that seems to be missing from the Cybiko, a
              debugger..... :( I love debuggers........

              - Sam
            • Jeff Frohwein
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2000
                Sam Nova wrote:
                > Doh to the US part (Can I order through you :) but cool with the SMC slot.

                Sure, if you want. :)

                BTW, Tetris v1.0 for Cybiko is online.

                http://www.devrs.com/cybiko

                Jeff
              • Sam Nova
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2000
                  At 11:56 07.11.00 -0600, you wrote:
                  >Sam Nova wrote:
                  > > Doh to the US part (Can I order through you :) but cool with the SMC slot.
                  >
                  > Sure, if you want. :)

                  Cool, I will consider it :)

                  > BTW, Tetris v1.0 for Cybiko is online.
                  >
                  >http://www.devrs.com/cybiko

                  Cool. BUT there must be another way to upload it to the Cybiko. I assume
                  that players dont want to install the SKD just for that.

                  - Sam