Cussler

  • Ed Homa
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
      i am reading the first Isaac bell novel - the Chase.  i haven't read any of this series yet - 30 or so pages into the book i am enjoying it.  i can't wait to get back and read more!

      does anyone feel like me?  that is is time for Dirk Cussler to stop writing Dirk Pitt?  if Cussler/the publisher want to continue Dirk Pitt is is time to turn to a differnt writer.  Dirk Cussler is terrible.  maybe promote Jack DuBrul from the oregon books to Dirk Pitt?

      Ed

    • Josh Roberts
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
        I have to admit I'm not impressed with Dirk Cussler, but I don't know if Jack DuBrul is fit for Dirk Pitt either... I have the Chase Arctic Drift and Corsair waiting to be read, but with school and work and the family, finding time in the day to do this is tough....
        Jsoh

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
          throw out a suggestion on who you would like to see pick up Dirk Pitt's adventures.

          i wouldn't mind seeing Pitt retired permanently and a new years of young Pitt adventures published about his adventures during his time at the Air Force Academy and in the Air Force.

          Ed

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2012
            i think that is is safe to say that most of us started out as huge Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler fans.  in fact it was Pitt/Cussler that brought me into thrillers.

            are most of you like me and would like to see Dirk, Jr. & Summer Pitt in a diving bell that is crushed at the bottom of the ocean and these two forgotten?  or maybe like the famous Dallas episode of many years ago Dirk, Sr. wake up and the he finds out that his two kids were just an ugly dream?  am i the only one that thinks that the kids are the biggest mistake Cussler has ever made?

            Dirk Pitt
            Kurt Austin/NUMA Files
            The Oregon Files
            Isaac Bell
            Fargo Adventures

            above are the series that the "Cussler Publishing House" is putting out.

            is it time to stop Dirk Pitt?  if Dirk Pitt continues should Dirk Cussler be replaced as author?  do you think Clive would pull the plug on his son?

            what is your favorite Cussler series?  currently i read all of them regularly except for Isaac Bell -  have only read the first once, i enjoyed it i just haven't gone back for more.

            my favorite series is hands down the Fargo Adventures.  i will admit that there is more potential there - that the books could be better - but i like the characters and the concept of the series.  i look for Thomas Perry, the new writer of the series to take the series to the next level.

            Ed
          • JamesD
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
              I stopped reading new Pitt after the second Dirk Jr. Novel. It just wasn't the same, and Dirk and Summer were not only an annoying distraction but at the end of the day, the NUMA gang has gotten too big, with not enough time spent w my favorite characters. I turned to Dirk Pitt light (NUMA files), but I confess I've gotten out of the habit.

              --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa <thunderball302@...> wrote:

              > i think that is is safe to say that most of us started out as huge Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler fans.  in fact it was Pitt/Cussler that brought me into thrillers.
              >
              > are most of you like me and would like to see Dirk, Jr. & Summer Pitt in a diving bell that is crushed at the bottom of the ocean and these two forgotten?  or maybe like the famous Dallas episode of many years ago Dirk, Sr. wake up and the he finds out that his two kids were just an ugly dream?  am i the only one that thinks that the kids are the biggest mistake Cussler has ever made?
              >
              > Dirk Pitt
              > Kurt Austin/NUMA Files
              > The Oregon Files
              > Isaac Bell
              > Fargo Adventures
              >
              > above are the series that the "Cussler Publishing House" is putting out.
              >
              > is it time to stop Dirk Pitt?  if Dirk Pitt continues should Dirk Cussler be replaced as author?  do you think Clive would pull the plug on his son?
              > what is your favorite Cussler series?  currently i read all of them regularly except for Isaac Bell -  have only read the first once, i enjoyed it i just haven't gone back for more.
              >
              > my favorite series is hands down the Fargo Adventures.  i will admit that there is more potential there - that the books could be better - but i like the characters and the concept of the series.  i look for Thomas Perry, the new writer of the series to take the series to the next level.
              >
              > Ed

            • Josh Roberts
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                I enjoy Jack DuBrul as a co-Author, but I'd really like to see him release some more of his original series books. The Oregon Files have changed quite a bit since he took over as co-author of the story. I haven't had much time to read since I got out of the Army, but I do have 2 Cussler books sitting on my night stand waiting to be started. I wouldn't say Dirk and Summer were the worst mistakes Cussler ever made, but I really don't care much for leaving the sr. Pitt out of the stories, so I don't venture into those books as much as I used to. I've wanted to get into the westerns like the Chase but I started it and couldn't keep with it for some reason, I need to try again.
                Josh

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
                  while i too thought of Kurt Austin/NUMA Files as Dirk Pitt-light i have come to enjoy the series as the real NUMA series and the Dirk Pitt series as the second team.  while i do not gobble up the NUMA Files when they first come out like i did with the old Dirk Pitt's i still do read them within a few months of being published.

                  Ed

                  I stopped reading new Pitt after the second Dirk Jr. Novel. It just wasn't the same, and Dirk and Summer were not only an annoying distraction but at the end of the day, the NUMA gang has gotten too big, with not enough time spent w my favorite characters. I turned to Dirk Pitt light (NUMA files), but I confess I've gotten out of the habit.

                  --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa <thunderball302@...> wrote:

                  > i think that is is safe to say that most of us started out as huge Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler fans.  in fact it was Pitt/Cussler that brought me into thrillers.
                  >
                  > are most of you like me and would like to see Dirk, Jr. & Summer Pitt in a diving bell that is crushed at the bottom of the ocean and these two forgotten?  or maybe like the famous Dallas episode of many years ago Dirk, Sr. wake up and the he finds out that his two kids were just an ugly dream?  am i the only one that thinks that the kids are the biggest mistake Cussler has ever made?
                  >
                  > Dirk Pitt
                  > Kurt Austin/NUMA Files
                  > The Oregon Files
                  > Isaac Bell
                  > Fargo Adventures
                  >
                  > above are the series that the "Cussler Publishing House" is putting out.
                  >
                  > is it time to stop Dirk Pitt?  if Dirk Pitt continues should Dirk Cussler be replaced as author?  do you think Clive would pull the plug on his son?
                  > what is your favorite Cussler series?  currently i read all of them regularly except for Isaac Bell -  have only read the first once, i enjoyed it i just haven't gone back for more.
                  >
                  > my favorite series is hands down the Fargo Adventures.  i will admit that there is more potential there - that the books could be better - but i like the characters and the concept of the series.  i look for Thomas Perry, the new writer of the series to take the series to the next level.
                  >
                  > Ed

                • Lina
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2012
                    What I'd like to know is why in the first place did Dirk ever accept Jr and Summer as his children in the first place? For all he knew they were con artists or something... :(

                    --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa <thunderball302@...> wrote:

                    > i think that is is safe to say that most of us started out as huge Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler fans.  in fact it was Pitt/Cussler that brought me into thrillers.
                    >
                    > are most of you like me and would like to see Dirk, Jr. & Summer Pitt in a diving bell that is crushed at the bottom of the ocean and these two forgotten?  or maybe like the famous Dallas episode of many years ago Dirk, Sr. wake up and the he finds out that his two kids were just an ugly dream?  am i the only one that thinks that the kids are the biggest mistake Cussler has ever made?
                    >
                    > Dirk Pitt
                    > Kurt Austin/NUMA Files
                    > The Oregon Files
                    > Isaac Bell
                    > Fargo Adventures
                    >
                    > above are the series that the "Cussler Publishing House" is putting out.
                    >
                    > is it time to stop Dirk Pitt?  if Dirk Pitt continues should Dirk Cussler be replaced as author?  do you think Clive would pull the plug on his son?
                    >
                    > what is your favorite Cussler series?  currently i read all of them regularly except for Isaac Bell -  have only read the first once, i enjoyed it i just haven't gone back for more.
                    >
                    > my favorite series is hands down the Fargo Adventures.  i will admit that there is more potential there - that the books could be better - but i like the characters and the concept of the series.  i look for Thomas Perry, the new writer of the series to take the series to the next level.
                    >
                    > Ed

                  • Ed Homa
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2012
                      because Cussler was trying to give the series new legs  ;-)   - which failed in my opinion.  and Dirk Cussler needs to go as mush as the kids do!

                      Ed

                      --- In mailto:Cussler-DirkPitt%40yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa <thunderball302@...> wrote:

                      > i think that is is safe to say that most of us started out as huge Dirk Pitt/Clive Cussler fans.  in fact it was Pitt/Cussler that brought me into thrillers.
                      >
                      > are most of you like me and would like to see Dirk, Jr. & Summer Pitt in a diving bell that is crushed at the bottom of the ocean and these two forgotten?  or maybe like the famous Dallas episode of many years ago Dirk, Sr. wake up and the he finds out that his two kids were just an ugly dream?  am i the only one that thinks that the kids are the biggest mistake Cussler has ever made?
                      >
                      > Dirk Pitt
                      > Kurt Austin/NUMA Files
                      > The Oregon Files
                      > Isaac Bell
                      > Fargo Adventures
                      >
                      > above are the series that the "Cussler Publishing House" is putting out.
                      >
                      > is it time to stop Dirk Pitt?  if Dirk Pitt continues should Dirk Cussler be replaced as author?  do you think Clive would pull the plug on his son?
                      >
                      > what is your favorite Cussler series?  currently i read all of them regularly except for Isaac Bell -  have only read the first once, i enjoyed it i just haven't gone back for more.
                      >
                      > my favorite series is hands down the Fargo Adventures.  i will admit that there is more potential there - that the books could be better - but i like the characters and the concept of the series.  i look for Thomas Perry, the new writer of the series to take the series to the next level.
                      >
                      > Ed

                    • Lina
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                        When I see the so-called kids involved I don't bother checking out or buying the book. BTW isn't that what tv series do when desperate to get ratings for their dying show? Use kids?

                        --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, Ed Homa <thunderball302@...> wrote:

                        > because Cussler was trying to give the series new legs  ;-)   - which failed in my opinion.  and Dirk Cussler needs to go as mush as the kids do!
                        >
                        > Ed

                      • Ed Homa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                          i don't know what is going on with Jack and his Phillip Mercer books - i have heard that his publisher is waiting for one and is ready to publish one when it is turned it.

                          i imagine that the Cussler/Oregon Files provides a solid paycheck - a more regular paycheck than his solo novels provides.

                          Ed