Bourne 4 Director Reveals No Damon OR Bourne For Sequel

  • Ed Homa
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2010

      New Bourne director Tony Gilroy has confirmed that the next film in the franchise won't have Matt Damon - or anyone else - playing Jason Bourne.

      Gilroy, who scripted the first three movies, told Hollywood Elsewhere: "No one's replacing Matt Damon. There will be a whole new hero." He then continued, "This is not a reboot, it's a whole new chapter. The easiest way to think of it is an expansion or a reveal. Jason Bourne will not be in this film, but he's very much alive. What happened in the first three films is the trigger for The Bourne Legacy, and everyone who got into them will be rewarded for paying attention. I'm building a legend and an environment and a wider conspiracy." He then tentatively added "The world we're making enhances and advances and invites Jason Bourne's reappearance somewhere down the road..."

      So, it's technically not part of the franchise, then, no? It's James Bond with a different 007; Halloween with another serial killer; The Passion of the Christ with an entirely new Jes... never mind.

    • Tim Merrigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2010
        On 10/11/2010 3:42 PM, Ed Homa wrote:

[...]

        Sounds to me like it's a parallel story line in the same universe*.  So, the equivalents would be a story set in the James Bond world, say about an adventure of agent 005, or a story (could be just about anything) in which Michael Myers killing spree is mentioned in a news story in the background, or some such, or The Life of Brion.

        Besides which, isn't The Bourne Legacy already a book?  Was Jason in the book?

        *Kinda like the references to X-Files in Fringe.

        and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
        promising liberty and justice for all.
              Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

        Tim Merrigan