Re: [Cussler-DirkPitt] movie vs. book

  • mark notarian
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2005

      mags_dad2002 <mags_dad2002@...> wrote:

      a quick follow up to my previous post.
      Sahara the movie was a well made movie. no it is not the book on film.
      but i was glad to see the story lines moved in the same direction. the
      verbal jousting between dirk and AL was in the same spirit as the
      book.>

      Were we watching the same movie? I'll give you the movie is not the book  but I can refute your entire first statement with four words STEVE ZAHN as AL Zahn is not a short barrel chested Italian and Al is not a surfer dude.
      as for the omissions and liberties from book to movie, that is

      Hollywood at its best.>

      If true I would hate to see Hollywood at it's worst

      Many missing things would have been lost on
      the movie public, and it is those things that endear the book(s) to so many.>

      Yeah The public is far too stupid to grasp NUMA as a government agency  or Pitts correct branch of the armed service or The Abe Lincoln sub plot, or the tourist massacre,or (I could go on but for the sake of economy I will not)

      seeing the movie has made me want to read the book again.>

      Seeing the movie made me want to FRAG a Paramount executive and firebomb the Offices of Crusader Entertainment

      i would gladly like to see more of this dirk pitt on the big screen.

      I would like to see this Dirk Pitt and the five screenwriters that created this dung pile buried up to their necks so the can get a close up view of the incoming tide!

      Sahara was at best the kind of forgettable throw away action film one sees in the really early morning hours on HBO.lastly where the hell did they get that soundtrack K-TEL's best of Southern Rock? Where is Dave Grusin,Jerry Goldsmih or John Williams when you need them!

      Movie goer, nauseated movie goer

      Pitt, Dirk Pitt.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Bill Groves
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2005
        The absence of the Abe Lincoln storyline was no big loss, as I felt one of the major flaws in the novel was its total lack of connection between the Lincoln event and the present-day storyline.

        As for not making NUMA a government agency, I suspect that may have actually been a kind of tribute to the real-life NUMA; but in order to not strain the we-just-happened-to-be-on-a-project-where-villains-are-doing-stuff coincidence in subsequent films (if there are any), they changed the agency's status at the end of the film.

        Although a decent enough action film on its own terms, "Sahara" is also entirely unremarkable and fails to distinguish itself.  But therein lies the problem of adapting Cussler's novels to feature film length.  There are too many good action set-pieces and conjoined storylines.  Two hours forces compromises that only allow enough to be left to rise to the level of the average action film.  The material would be much better served if serialized on TV a la "24" or "Alias."

        mark notarian <flintderick@...> wrote:

[...]

      • les barritt
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2005

[...]

          since the genre of the "action movie" peaked at least 10 years ago how are you gouing to make a first rate, cutting edge film out of a book that held away from production long after the iron had cooled. cc probably should have penned and produced the film himself 6 months after the book hit the shelves, while the iron was still hot. i was suprised cc even sold the story after the titanic fiasco. by selling the story and control to someone else it turned into a crap shoot ...i guess he needed some cash?

          i perhaps do not have your passion. i just can not see myself getting all that worked up over a(ny) movie. producers, screenwriters and actors are pretty loathsome in their own right. but if you get rid of a few there are 2000 there to replace them, so what is the point.

          yes, it is hollywood at its best. if you have not noticed for the last 100 years or so they tend to do exactly what they want and what they can get away with.

          just how much background on pitt and numa and sandecker and al and rudy etc was there before sahara was read? so i suppose going in, all that knowledge and background is kind of built in and it is assumed the reader knows the details. but how to explain in a timely manner on film why a former air force officer is now a professional diver, or what numa really did and why. to get the facts accurate and understandable to the novice would have taken extra time away from the "action" and added many minutes to the movie. to the purist it should have been put in... no, i am wrong. to the purist it should have been left implied. it should have been there just because. that is when it would have been lost on the movie going public. i never said "the public was too stupid".

          so after all of this diarhea of the typwriter i guess i can say for the purist, sahara the movie was a disappointment. to me the movie was entertaining, fun and only cost $4.00. it was not the book and i did not expect it to be. it was not raiders of the lost ark but what is?

          hollwood at its worst? try primetime network television.

          as for grusin, goldsmith and williams...
          Pitt, Dirk Pitt.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Pitt, Dirk Pitt.

          chrissy & mags dad,
          les

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • mark notarian
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2005

            Bill Groves <danofan59@...> wrote:
[...]

            Bill :

            I could not agree with you more , The Pitt Books are the stuff Mini series aspire to be and are usually not. I believe Cussler made a huge mistake signing with Crusader instead of making a network deal ala Koontz or King with FOX and ABC respectively.
            When ever studios get involved originality is tossed out the window. when a network is desperate for numbers they tend to go outside the box example LOST or REVELATIONS could you imaging a four hour version of Deep Six or a six hour version of CYCLOPS  or a Six hour version of my fave DRAGON the mind boggles!

            Mark