Re: Tom Clancy

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, bigbluehen@a... wrote:
      > <<<<<In a message dated 7/27/04 11:25:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > cactusinacoffeecan@y... writes:
      > well, i think its just part of his writing style. he's always used
      > ALOT of detail. which is the reason i love reading him. (i'm
      > currently rereading without remorse)
      >
      > but then again, who knows.
      >
      > --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@yahoogroups.com, "Alex & Amy Bresette"
      > <alexbresette@y...> wrote:
      > > I am about halfway through Clancy's "The Teeth of the Tiger" and
      > am
      > > finding it quite enjoyable. He may have hit on something with
      > Jack
      > > Ryan Jr. and the Campus.
      > >
      > > One question I do have: does Clancy (or Cussler or any author)
      get
      > > paid to name-drop brands in the story? Clancy seems to
      constantly
      > > sell on name brands, i.e. Dominic powered up his Dell computer
      > while
      > > sipping at a Starbucks coffee, hoping not to spill any on his
      Polo
      > > shirt. That's not a direct quote, but you get the idea.
      > >
      > > Does Clancy get paid? Or is he just a brand name dropping sell
      > out?
      > >
      > > Alex B in KC>>>>>
      >
      > alot of different writers drop brand names in - i think they think
      (and i
      > think it works) it let's us get to kow the characters alittle
      better.

      > Ed Homa
      > Wilmington, DE

      Coincidence. Picked up Bear and the Dragon a few days ago and made a
      decision to wade into it. It usually takes me a week to immerse
      myself and meet everyone he wants me to meet. Sometimes I wish he
      didn't take so long setting everything up, but I'm usually shaking my
      head in admiration by the time I hit the last 150 pages.

      Scott
    • bigbluehen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
        <<<In a message dated 8/3/04 10:16:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sbetts@... writes:
        Coincidence.  Picked up Bear and the Dragon a few days ago and made a
        decision to wade into it.  It usually takes me a week to immerse
        myself and meet everyone he wants me to meet.  Sometimes I wish he
        didn't take so long setting everything up, but I'm usually shaking my
        head in admiration by the time I hit the last 150 pages.

        Scott>>>

        i agree with you - it takes sometime to get into Clancy's books but as you near the end the plots/subplots he weaves have you asking how he does it.

        Ed Homa
        Wilmington, DE
      • Alex & Amy Bresette
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004

          I never could get into the Bear and the Dragon.  Fortunately its plot is summarized in The Teeth of the Tiger.  Similar to Cussler, Clancy is starting to put in nostalgic looks at past bestsellers.  It may be a little hokey, but I like it.

          Alex B. in KC

          Do you Yahoo!?