Re: new ones

  • Alex Bresette
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004

      I recently read Trojan Odyssey and really liked it.  Some parts were hokey or formula-driven, but still enjoyable.  I'm not as forgiving with other authors, but since I feel like I go way back with Dirk Pitt then exceptions can be made.  :o)

      The last book I read was The Clocks by Agatha Christie.  There was a sub-plot involving spies and communism that was interesting.  I failed however at solving the whodunnit.  She is as much fun to read in the mystery sense as Cussler is in the adventure sense.

      I'm not sure what the next book I'll read is...really busy at work and home...but I want to get started soon!

      Happy New Year!

      Alex B in KC

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
    • bigbluehen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2004
        In a message dated 1/1/04 9:49:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, alexbresette@... writes:
        Alex B in KC
        let's hope dick vermeil and the chiefs can do something in the playoffs - but the pats look awful though.

        born and raised in wilmington, de - about a half our south of philadelphia i'm a life long eagles fan and i'm once again pulling for my birds!  but they have soooooooo many injuries anything they do in the playoffs is a bonus.

        being an eagles fan dick vermeil is almost a saint in this area and he lives about 15 minutes from my house - so i'll be pulling for dick and the chiefs!

        happy new year to all!

        Ed Homa
        Wilmington, DE

        Fear the Bird!
        University of Delaware Fightin' Blue Hen Football
      • DKBR57@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
          I'm just starting Trojan Odyssey - had to finish some Preston/Child reading - I'm working my way through all of theirs.

          I just read Thunderhead, The Relic and Cabinet of Curiosities.  I thought all were outstanding, especially Cabinet - I couldn't put it down.  I know there's a movie version of Relic - any thoughts on it - is it worth seeing after reading the book?

          I also got The DaVinci Code for Christmas and will start that next.  A great way to spend these snowy winter days and nights - curled up with a good book!

          Kyle
        • bigbluehen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
            In a message dated 1/2/04 11:01:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
            I'm just starting Trojan Odyssey - had to finish some Preston/Child reading - I'm working my way through all of theirs.

            I just read Thunderhead, The Relic and Cabinet of Curiosities.  I thought all were outstanding, especially Cabinet - I couldn't put it down.  I know there's a movie version of Relic - any thoughts on it - is it worth seeing after reading the book

            i have never read a novel by Preston/Child - what should i read first by them?

            they each have solo novels out the Codex by Preston is out in hardcover and Utopia by Child has just come out in paperback - has anyone read these books?

            Ed Homa
            Wilmington, DE
          • bigbluehen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2004
              In a message dated 1/2/04 11:01:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
              I also got The DaVinci Code for Christmas and will start that next.  A great way to spend these snowy winter days and nights - curled up with a good book!
              i think everyone that hasn't already read the DiVinci Code has gotten it for Christmas!  it is still sitting on my nightstand to be read.

              also Brown's first book Digital Fortress which was only available in tradepaperback has just come out in papaerback.

              Angels & Demons and Deception Point by Brown are at the top of the paperback sales lists.

              Ed Homa
              Wilmington, DE
            • DKBR57@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                In a message dated 1/4/04 12:33:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                i have never read a novel by Preston/Child - what should i read first by them?

                I'd start with The Relic, but the books really can stand alone.  The stories aren't interconnected (although I think Reliquary is a somewhat direct sequel to Relic) but some characters overlap and recur.  I just finished their latest, Still Life With Crows, and found it impossible to put down!  Enjoy!

                Kyle
              • bigbluehen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 14, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/6/04 10:17:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:

                  I'd start with The Relic, but the books really can stand alone.  The stories aren't interconnected (although I think Reliquary is a somewhat direct sequel to Relic) but some characters overlap and recur.  I just finished their latest, Still Life With Crows, and found it impossible to put down!  Enjoy!
                  has anyone read Preston's or Child's solo work?  Child's Utopia just came out in paperback and Preston's Codex is out in hardback.

                  i just picked up Relic.

                  Ed Homa
                  Wilmington, DE
                • DKBR57@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 15, 2004
                    In a message dated 1/14/04 9:29:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                    has anyone read Preston's or Child's solo work?  Child's Utopia just came out in paperback and Preston's Codex is out in hardback.

                    I just got The Codex and plan to start it tonight!  Just finished James Rollins' Subterranean (his first novel) and enjoyed it, but found it a bit "claustrophobic" - like his later book, Excavation, almost all of the action is one continuous attempt to get out of one major predicament.  I miss the variety of say, Cussler's "peril-relief" cycle or Preston/Child's intrigue.  That, however, will not deter me from more of Rollins!

                    Enjoy Relic!

                    Kyle
                  • bigbluehen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
                      In a message dated 1/15/04 12:51:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
                      I just got The Codex and plan to start it tonight!  Just finished James Rollins' Subterranean (his first novel) and enjoyed it, but found it a bit "claustrophobic" - like his later book, Excavation, almost all of the action is one continuous attempt to get out of one major predicament.  I miss the variety of say, Cussler's "peril-relief" cycle or Preston/Child's intrigue.  That, however, will not deter me from more of Rollins!

                      Enjoy Relic!

                      Kyle
                      I'm reading BLACK ICE by Matt Dickinson and then i'll move onto Relic.

                      try Rollin's Ice Hunt.

                      Ed Homa
                      Wilmington, DE
                    • DKBR57@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
                        In a message dated 1/16/04 6:48:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                        I'm reading BLACK ICE by Matt Dickinson and then i'll move onto Relic.

                        try Rollin's Ice Hunt.

                        Thanks, Ed.  I'll tackle Ice Hunt next.
                      • DKBR57@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                          In a message dated 1/14/04 9:29:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                          has anyone read Preston's or Child's solo work?  Child's Utopia just came out in paperback and Preston's Codex is out in hardback.

                          Just finished Douglas Preston's The Codex - wow!  An intriguing plot: overbearing, dying father has himself buried somewhere in the world with his amassed fortune of great works of art and ill-gotten priceless treasures, then challenges his three "disappointing" sons to work together to find his tomb and claim their legacy.

                          Loved it.  Preston's writing about the oppressive and dangerous conditions in the steamy jungles of Honduras had me squiriming and the twists of the plot had me turning pages into the wee hours!  Highly recommended.  Now on to Utopia!

                          Kyle
                        • bigbluehen@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 21, 2004
                            In a message dated 1/19/04 1:34:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
                            has anyone read Preston's or Child's solo work?  Child's Utopia just came out in paperback and Preston's Codex is out in hardback.

                            Just finished Douglas Preston's The Codex - wow!  An intriguing plot: overbearing, dying father has himself buried somewhere in the world with his amassed fortune of great works of art and ill-gotten priceless treasures, then challenges his three "disappointing" sons to work together to find his tomb and claim their legacy.

                            Loved it.  Preston's writing about the oppressive and dangerous conditions in the steamy jungles of Honduras had me squiriming and the twists of the plot had me turning pages into the wee hours!  Highly recommended.  Now on to Utopia!

                            Kyle
                            has anyone seen the Relic movie?

                            Ed Homa
                            Wilmington, DE
                          • bigbluehen@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                              In a message dated 1/19/04 1:34:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
                              Just finished Douglas Preston's The Codex - wow!  An intriguing plot: overbearing, dying father has himself buried somewhere in the world with his amassed fortune of great works of art and ill-gotten priceless treasures, then challenges his three "disappointing" sons to work together to find his tomb and claim their legacy.

                              Loved it.  Preston's writing about the oppressive and dangerous conditions in the steamy jungles of Honduras had me squiriming and the twists of the plot had me turning pages into the wee hours!  Highly recommended.  Now on to Utopia!
                              i finished Black Ice - a good read - not a great read - i'd buy it in paperback - if i paid for hardback (i got it from the library) i'd be disappointed.

                              i was going to start Relic or Angels & Demons by Dan Brown - but i went out and bought the Codex - after reading the cover i had to read it!

                              Ed Homa
                              Wilmington, DE
                            • DKBR57@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                                In a message dated 1/22/04 6:51:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                                i was going to start Relic or Angels & Demons by Dan Brown - but i went out and bought the Codex - after reading the cover i had to read it!

                                Enjoy!  I'm anxious to hear what you think of it!

                                In a new thread - a cautious new thread - I visited the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child website yesterday.   The Official Douglas Preston - Lincoln Child Web SIte
                                I love the site - it gives a lot of info about each book, including deleted chapters, epilogues that were never published, etc.  I wandered over to the bulletin boards for the first time and imagine my surprise when I found a series of posts about "Worst Literary Heroes" and our own DP was among them!

                                Say it isn't so!  Oh well, to each his own!

                                Kyle
                              • bigbluehen@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                                  In a message dated 1/22/04 8:49:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
                                  In a new thread - a cautious new thread - I visited the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child website yesterday.   The Official Douglas Preston - Lincoln Child Web SIte
                                  I love the site - it gives a lot of info about each book, including deleted chapters, epilogues that were never published, etc.  I wandered over to the bulletin boards for the first time and imagine my surprise when I found a series of posts about "Worst Literary Heroes" and our own DP was among them!

                                  Say it isn't so!  Oh well, to each his own!
                                  what was ment by worst?

                                  Ed Homa
                                  Wilmington, DE
                                • DKBR57@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 23, 2004
                                    In a message dated 1/22/04 7:17:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigbluehen@... writes:

                                    what was ment by worst?

                                    "Worst" as in most arrogant, most annoying, most absurdly written, most unbelievable. . .

                                    If I recall correctly, DP was cited for all of the above - AND, this one poster thought even his name was ridiculous!  That same person felt that (and I'm paraphrasing here) DP was written as "every teenage boy's daydream."

                                    There's no accounting for taste!

                                    Kyle
                                  • james_h_35801
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 23, 2004

                                      > There's no accounting for taste!

                                      Yes I saw that over at the DP/LC site myself the other day.I am a
                                      member over there but with about as many post there as here 1 or 2.I
                                      mostly just check posts and go on.I really must post more.
                                    • bigbluehen@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 25, 2004
                                        In a message dated 1/22/04 8:49:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, DKBR57@... writes:
                                        Enjoy!  I'm anxious to hear what you think of it!
                                        i just started the Codex - maybe 50 pages into it - but so far it has my attention.

                                        Ed Homa
                                        Wilmington, DE