the HAWKE is down.

  • bigbluehen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2003
      well i only made it half the way through HAWKE by Ted Bell before i had enough and couldn't continue.  i was very excited about the book before i started reading it - it seemed to have everything pirates, terrorists, a plot to take over Cuba.

      why did i stop?  Lord Hawke was just to good - he had just to much going for him.  he was rich, he had every toy and gadget money could buy - he was handsome, he had the world's most beautiful women after him including the new Sec of State - he was the president's friend.  he was just too good to be true.  it got to the point where i just didn't care about him as a character.

      the book i stopped reading before the library notified me that HAWKE was waiting for me was RAIN FALL by Barry Eisler.  when i went back to it after HAWKE i couldn't get back into it so i put it aside until later.

      the book i'm reading now is ACID TEST by Ross LaManna

      Editorial Reviews
      It's the near future, and Batu Khan, a charismatic and ruthless dictator emulating the tactics and exploits of Genghis Khan, has forged an alliance of central Asian countries that threatens to destabilize the world's balance of power. Meanwhile, a series of seemingly unconnected acts of violence are committed by ordinary people with suddenly superhuman abilities, abilities similar to those exhibited by the Khaldun, Batu Khan's elite soldiers. Matt Wilder, a special investigator for Air Force Intelligence, has firsthand experience with the Khaldun, who have infiltrated the military's top secret testing sites and stolen plans for the air force's newest planes and weapons. When he focuses on what the media dubs the Yuppie Killers, he discovers the one thing they all have in common: a connection with a chemistry professor at Rexford University, and a long-ago experiment with LSD whose effects, 30 years later, are just like those shown by Batu Khan's soldiers.This page-turner, which spans the globe from the Asian steppes to the Australian desert, features enough hardware to satisfy Tom Clancy fans and plenty of medical science to intrigue Robin Cook's readers. Ross LaManna's Hollywood background (he wrote the screenplay for Jackie Chan's Rush Hour
      ) shows up in the intricate, cinematic plotting--and in the bigger-than-life characterizations of the key players, including the American president, whose own acid flashback almost puts America right in Batu Khan's hands. Explosive, exciting, and hard to put down, Acid Test practically screams Big Screen. --Jane Adams --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

      From Publishers Weekly
      Genghis Kitsch! In this lively first novel, a competent if over-the-top techno-thriller, the earth is menaced by a Mongolian megalomaniac named Bhatu Khan, who has recreated a Golden Horde of drug-induced supermen and, with the aid of stolen military superware, plans to conquer the world. The pages echo with the inimitable voice of Ming the Merciless Emperor of Mongo: "Take them to the atom furnace!" Actually, Bhatu Khan doesn't have an atom furnace, but LaManna has action-packed everything else... read more
      --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

      See all editorial reviews...
      Spotlight Reviews (What's this?)
      Write an online review
      and share your thoughts with other customers. Plausibly outrageous thriller, August 20, 2001
      Reviewer: A reader from Los Angeles, CA USA
      If you are a fan of Tom Clancy & Robert Ludlum, read ACID TEST. The plot extrapolates from today's headlines to tomorrow's possibilities--a new Mongol Empire arising from the ruins of the USSR; a US President who actually experienced the 60's; & technologies you know will be commonplace in this decade. Mix in a true-blue hero & his very impressive new love with incredibly inventive action that HAS to show up in the movies (I CAN'T WAIT to see the opening sequence on the big screen!). What do you get?? A book you won't put down until WAY past your bedtime! --This text refers to the Hardcover

              Was this review helpful to you?
      3 of 3 people found the following review helpful: Good book, but could have been much better., December 3, 2001
      Reviewer: Derek A. Smith from Clinton, MD United States
      "Acid Test," was written by screenwriter/novelist Ross LaManna, author of movies "Rush Hour", "Cliff Hanger," "Universal Soldier," and other popular movies. Acid Test was his first novel, characterized as a geo-political thriller. I began as most action type thrillers seem to with an action scene with gun battles, car chases, etc. The novel is about a military investigator (Air Force OSI) on a mission to thwart a Bin Laden type terrorist (Batu Khan, a direct descendant of Ghengis Khan, living in the deserts of Afghanastan, and other places) who is trying to unite the torn apart Soviet states by force. The novel had great promise at the beginning and was very realistic. LaManna knows how to write dialogue between characters because he is a screenwriter. However, the novel quickly became too much to handle. It became so farfetched, with such things as the hero using a rocket engine strapped to a truck to catch up to an enemy and later jumping between moving advanced jet fighters, that I almost could not continue reading it. It seems that he took a promising novel idea and tried to turn it into his next action packed, but ludicrous movie. To me it really ruined what could have been a very good novel. A co-worker of mine who is a former OSI agent like myself also read it and we were both very disappointed. It could have been much better. If we had expected that type of novel, that would have been different. But I was expecting a much more serious type of novel. --This text refers to the Hardcover

              Was this review helpful to you?      All Customer Reviews
      Avg. Customer Review: Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers. Great story!, June 30, 2003
      Reviewer: A reader from Phoenix, AZ
      Just listened to this audiobook. I must say, it kept me interested and enthralled throughout the entire story. The narrator did a great job, and the action scenes were very exciting. Highly recommend. --This text refers to the Hardcover

              Was this review helpful to you?
      1 of 1 people found the following review helpful: Over the Top Thrills......., August 29, 2002
      Reviewer: An Amazon.com Customer from East Hanover, NJ USA
      "Acid Test" reads like a big summer blockbuster. It's crammed with over the top characters, technology and plot elements. "Acid Test" is pure entertaining fluff. It's a literary marshmellow. It should make an awesome movie. --This text refers to the Hardcover

      Ed Homa
      Wilmington, DE