e-books

  • ed homa
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      what's the scoop on e-books?

      do you download them to your 'puter and read them from
      the screen? do you print them out and read them? is
      there a hand-held device that you download them to and
      read from there?

      i don't know anyone that has ever read one.

      what is the cost?

      ed

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
        --- In Cussler-DirkPitt@y..., ed homa <pwrring@y...> wrote:
        > what's the scoop on e-books?
        > do you download them to your 'puter and read them from
        > the screen? do you print them out and read them? is
        > there a hand-held device that you download them to and
        > read from there?
        > i don't know anyone that has ever read one.
        > what is the cost?
        > ed

        Ed

        Yes - you can download directly to and read from your computer -
        using Adobe's Acrobat Reader (which is free to download) - the files
        come in a .pdf format. There are also hand held devices that you
        can - I believe - plug into your harddrive and download that way.
        Then, off you go to read them. I have heard some complaints from
        people using the hand helds - malfunctions, low battery time and then
        the file formats aren't interchangeable - but have never used them
        myself and am interested in doing so.

        Reading a full length novel right on your computer is not something I
        would recommend (Could you imagine having to sit at your computer for
        all of Valhalla Rising's 531 pages? Nope.). I have bought shorter
        novels (up to 45,000 words) that have come in at about 200 pages and
        it's been fine for me. There are many booksellers right on the web.
        You can try the usual suspect (Amazon, B&N...) and you can just type
        in ebooks into your search engine and it will more than likely come
        up with quite a few.

        Once you download the ebook - it is yours. You can print it if you
        want (on screen it looks just like a word processing document) or you
        can copy it to a disc and take it elsewhere. I don't really recommend
        printing - it's sort of defeating the purpose - but do know an
        eFriend who prints out a couple chapters here and there and takes
        them with him to work.

        Prices range from $3 for a download up to $7 or more for best selling
        authors. I enjoy buying lesser known authors to try them out but
        would never pay what is full price for a paperback book when I don't
        get the luxury of holding it in my hand.

        Hope this helped.

        Sue
        Currently reading Valhalla Rising - chapter 16
      • ChrisFriedrich
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
          Running gag here at work for all those paper lovers:
          PDF format:     Print Documents Frequently

          Sue wrote:

          Yes - you can download directly to and read from your computer -
          using Adobe's Acrobat Reader (which is free to download) - the files
          come in a .pdf format.  < *- snip -*>