Re: [Cussler-DirkPitt] old friends

  • ed homa
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
      --- Colierrannd2@... wrote:
      > I feel the same way. Pitt is definitely someone who,
      > though fictional,
      > comforts me to read about. My favorite is Bond<duck
      > quickly, so as not to get
      > hit by rotten tomatoes>.

      duck? why duck? i love bond - i'm not a big fan of
      the fleming books - but i loved the gardner books, his
      early to mid bonds, i didn't like his later bonds and
      i'm not sure about benson yet.

      ed

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
        --- iamjean@... wrote:

        > > cussler, clancy, dubrul, morrell are a few of the
        > > authors that help me forget real life.
        > >

        > Ed, I couldn't let this subject go without telling
        > you that "I hear
        > you, friend." Hang tough. We are all fortunate to
        > have people with
        > such creative talent who can and do share their
        > "dream children and
        > their adventures" with us. They become real
        > friends. Jean

        thanks, jean. this grown up stuff really *sucks* -
        doesn't it! LOL

        ed

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • DKBR57@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
          In a message dated 02/28/2001 1:49:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          iamjean@... writes:

          > His stories are mind
          > expanding to say the least, but I love the way he tells them. (This
          > is about as chilling as I care to read though.) Did you like Roses
          > are Red? I haven't read it yet.

          I must say that I read Patterson for much the same reasons as I enjoy Cussler
          - he's a great storyteller and his characters are truly intriguing. Cross
          and Sampson have a similar relationship as Dirk and Al, though not as fully
          developed, in my opinion. It's hard to delve too deeply into character when
          your average chapter length is a page and a half! But that's a feature I love
          about Patterson - he's a quick read, and I always come away with the feeling
          that I've been taken on a roller-coaster ride of a tale!

          Also like Cussler, Patterson's villains are over the top and larger than
          life. The biggest difference is that that the crimes Patterson's villains
          commit are personal - against man more than against humanity. They're not
          out to rule the world, just create as much murder and mayhem as possible.

          Jean, I urge you to read Roses Are Red! I found it to be the most chilling
          yet - and the most disturbing to Patterson fans. You'll love the interaction
          with Alex's family which is played up a lot in this book. There are many
          twists and turns and an ending that left me begging for his next Cross
          installment! Read! I'd love to hear if your impressions were similar to
          mine!

          And no, I haven't discovered Rollins yet - I'll have to look into him!
          Thanks!

          Kyle
        • Colierrannd2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
            In a message dated 3/1/01 6:58:34 AM Central Standard Time, pwrring@...
            writes:

            duck?  why duck?  i love bond - i'm not a big fan of
            the fleming books - but i loved the gardner books, his
            early to mid bonds, i didn't like his later bonds and
            i'm not sure about benson yet.

            ed

            Well, I AM on a Cussler list....If you like Fleming you probabbly will be
            like me and not be as fond of Benson. Here's why:

            Fleming wrote what I call "the novel or book Bond" which is, as you know,very
            different then most of the "movie Bond"s. I haven't read Gardner, but Benson
            writes the "movie Bond" in novel form. To me anyway. Where Fleming dealt more
            with 007's emotions and feelings, his hatred of killing women, but his
            vengeful mind towards men. The fact that Bond was indeed a killer and killed
            often. THat sort of thing. Bond's "flings" in the books are never just sexual
            affairs but affairs of the heart.The movies have rarely treated him so, On
            Her Majesty's Secret Service being the most profound example.

            The one Benson I have read has not made me long to read more really.Where as
            Fleming's hero can be found often on surviellence or doing something as
            mundane as paperwork, Benson (like the films) makes him more akin to Die
            Hard's John McClane then an actual spy.

            Sorry if I've rambled abit, I am a bit passsionate about this subject, can
            you tell?

            Col
          • Colierrannd2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
              In a message dated 3/1/01 7:37:39 AM Central Standard Time, DKBR57@...
              writes:

              Jean, I urge you to read Roses Are Red!  I found it to be the most chilling
              yet - and the most disturbing to Patterson fans.  You'll love the
              interaction
              with Alex's family which is played up a lot in this book.  There are many
              twists and turns and an ending that left me begging for his next Cross
              installment!  Read!  I'd love to hear if your impressions were similar to
              mine!

              And no, I haven't discovered Rollins yet - I'll have to look into him!
              Thanks!

              Kyle

              I hope I'm not jumping into too personal a conversation ;) but I have seen
              Patterson's books around. Where should one start to read him? I mean,
              probably the first book, but whats the title?

              Oh, and same question for Rollins. Isn't he the guy who wrote "Devil in a
              Blue Dress"?

              Thanks!

              Col
            • DKBR57@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
                In a message dated 03/01/2001 12:58:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                Colierrannd2@... writes:

                > I hope I'm not jumping into too personal a conversation ;) but I have seen
                > Patterson's books around. Where should one start to read him? I mean,
                > probably the first book, but whats the title?

                Col,
                I'm always glad to share when it comes to favorite authors and books! You're
                smart to read Patterson's Alex Cross books in order - I wish I'd done that,
                but I didn't have the patience to figure it out at the time! Again, like
                Cussler (who has written very favorably about Patterson's efforts, BTW),
                recurring characters and themes are referenced quite often, so it keeps the
                reader on track when the books are read in order. Here's my list - by
                publication date. Any other Patterson fans out there, please correct me if
                I'm wrong on any of these -
                Along Came a Spider
                Kiss the Girls (yes, THAT one -they made a movie of this one, with Morgan
                Freeman as Cross - a poor choice in my book - I would have gone with Denzel
                Washington)
                Jack and Jill
                Cat and Mouse
                Pop Goes the Weasel
                Roses Are Red

                He has many other books, many with similar titles, but not featuring Alex
                Cross, and frankly, I can't always remember which are which, but this should
                get you started. Enjoy!

                Kyle
              • Colierrannd2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 3/1/01 1:37:42 PM Central Standard Time, DKBR57@...
                  writes:

                  Kiss the Girls (yes, THAT one -they made a movie of this one, with Morgan
                  Freeman as  Cross - a poor choice in my book - I would have gone with
                  Denzel
                  Washington)

                  I believe there is another Alex Cross movie coming out (I wasnt aaware this
                  was the same).

                  Ok, just checked imdb.com and yes, its "Along Came A Spider".

                  Col
                • Colierrannd2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Oh ! and thanks Kyle.

                    Col
                  • ed homa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
                      --- Colierrannd2@... wrote:

                      > Sorry if I've rambled abit, I am a bit passsionate
                      > about this subject, can
                      > you tell?
                      >
                      > Col

                      there aren't alot of us *book bond* fans - most fans
                      are *movie bond* fans.

                      i like the movies but i really like the books.