Urbania Bus Pass

  • w0sd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
      FYI

      The latest is that the tourist office found out for me yesterday that Urbania Bus is redoing their computer system and they do not know how long it will take. As of now it is a week and two days. I will check later this week.

      When there new program is up and running you need to go to the office in person as they take your picture and you need your passport to verify your age. etc. I am not sure but based on what I read from people who have a longer term VISA that is necessary to get the senior citizens half price rate to ride the bus using this card.

      I will find out more when we get ours but I suspect it requires more than to just meet the age requirment and a 90 day tourist VISA. As a side note I know in Panama they have many Senior Citizens discounts
      but most of the time to get them you need more than a tourist VISA and
      there as I remember they actually issue a Jubilato Tarjeta.

      Getting quarters here for us is really is a big hassle. I have found getting change or spending even a $10 or $20 bill is a big hassle all over Mexico, Central America and South America is a real problem A $100 bill is about impossible because of conterfieting(sp) problems.
      Big bills is much less of a problem here in Cuenca for us but of course one does not want to be carrying much money.

      I was with a senora from here and she stopped at 7 places to try and get 2 quarters for 50 cents or 4 quarters for one dollar with no success. She did finally get 2 half dollars for one dollar. The point to me is if she can not get change my chances as a gringo is less although I can speak fair Spanish.

      We have tried at the Super Maxi, Corral and Gran Aki and at the check out they were of no help. I asked for some quarters, ie cambio or sueltos Viente cinco centovos. We did have success at the service counter at Gran Aki. I don't think they normally do it but I think I sounded and looked desperate enough the manager told the girl to go ahead.

      However there is good news. If you go to Sucural De Cambio del Banco Central on Moniscal Lemar and Benigo Malo. It is behind the market on the corner to the west.

      You can go in and get as much change as you want. I gave them a $10.00 bill and they gave me 40 quarters. People were buying big sacks of quarters. I seen other coins as well. I did not need my passport. According to the sign if you are changing other countries money as always you need your passport.

      My friend Nelly who is a local tells me you can go to the main central bank and get change but I have not done that so I can not say for sure but I can say for sure this bank will give you all the change you want. The next time I go I will check the hours. It did not appear they close mid-day as we were there at 12:15. If I remember it was 8 am until 5 pm but I am not positive.

      I am stubborn so we will get our bus tarjetas if we can during the 7 weeks we will still be here.

      Ed
    • Mary Ann Z Dion
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
        Thanks for the update, Ed! Just FYI, most of the bus drivers will change a 50 cent piece - I see them do it all the time.

        Please let us know when they finally reopen. My card has simply stopped working after a year and a half (not out of saldo - just comes up blank), so it must have gotten demagnetized somehow. Since there should be about $7 left on it, I plan to take it to the bus company when they reopen and see what they can do.

        Happy travels!
        MAZ

        On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:40:04 -0000 "w0sd" <w0sd@...> writes:

[...]

        $65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
        Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
        Channel11NewsReport.com
      • w0sd
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011
          For the important news! The main office of Urbania Bus is open and the new software is up and running as of today, February 2nd. The address is below in this thread. The hours are Monday through Friday
          from 09-16. Remember there is absolutely no signs on the building!!

          There are two guards and they don't speak any English but their Spanish is good and it is slow. They wanted to see our card and I told him we needed Tarjeta Primera vez. He wanted to see our ID, ie in our case our passport page. We had to go across the street and get a copy and when we got back a person helped us with the form. I could of done it easily but he did speak English and filled out my wife and my form for us and got us in line for processing. He was very nice! The lines was very short and they had two positions open with a third one available.

          They take your picture with a digital camera attached to the computer screen. They enter your information into the computer and print your card which has your picture on it. Basically the whole process is like getting your Drivers License in SD except easier because now in SD you have to have 3 types of identification with one of them being your birth certificate.

          Anyway the cost was $1.50 and the expiration date is 8 years from today. That explains why he wanted to see our card as there are going to be more people there for renewals and problems with their cards than new cards I suspect.

          The Codigo (code) is Tercera Edad which I believe means third age or more commonly to us in English, Senior Citizen. Since all we needed was a copy of our passport picture page they had no way to know our VISA type so I don't know if you are supposed to have more than a 90 day tourist VISA or not to qualify for the senior citizen rate but anyway I will see when I use it on the bus what it costs me. I think it is going to be half price but we shall see. I also think that since the card has Tarifa-Diferencial on it. I think the others have Tarifa-Normal if I remember correctly what I read on a sign at a Urbania recharga place yesterday. Also my receipt say pago/jubilado

          You can put money on the card as well so we each just gave them a $10 bill for the $1.50 fee for the card and the rest will be credit on our card for the bus fare.

          In regards to change on the bus.

          Interesting! The other day on the way to Gran Aki a lady tried to get change for 50 cents and the driver would not do it. From what I could tell he made her put in the 50 cents which apparently fell into the box but of course did not give the normal ding dong. The lady, a local, complained heatedly to the bus driver through several stops. At first he just ignored her but after awhile he started talking heatedly. I could not get all of it as they were talking to fast for me but something about having the correct cambio. Eventually he took the money from an entering passenger and gave it to her which was her change for the 50 cents.. She then sat down but was definitely not happy.

          I hasten to add we have seen other drives make change and in fact one driver hit a button and we put in the 50 cents to cover both of us since we did not have any quarters. I guess it depends on the driver and his/her mood. I have yet to see a lady driver.

          In regards to getting change the hours for SUCURSAL De Cambio Banco Central is 8-4 Monday through Friday and you can get as much change as you want. We got $10 worth of quarters( viente cinco centavos.)The address is in this thread.

          Ed

          --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Mary Ann Z Dion <diamond.rough@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > quarters. I seen other coins as well. I did not need my passport.
          > According to the sign if you are changing other countries money as always
          > you need your passport.
          >
          > My friend Nelly who is a local tells me you can go to the main central
          > bank and get change but I have not done that so I can not say for sure
          > but I can say for sure this bank will give you all the change you want.
          > The next time I go I will check the hours. It did not appear they close
          > mid-day as we were there at 12:15. If I remember it was 8 am until 5 pm
          > but I am not positive.
          >
          > I am stubborn so we will get our bus tarjetas if we can during the 7
          > weeks we will still be here.
          >
          > Ed

          > $65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
          > Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access

        • retired_poppi
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2011
            In addition to going into the bank to get change, there are 5 change machines scattered around Cuenca. These red machines are a service of the Banco Central. One may exchange paper bills (1,5,10 or 20 dollars) for coins(dollar, quarter, and sometimes dimes). The machine locations are:

            Outside Banco Central on Calle Larga
            Inside the Terminal Terrreste
            Outside the Bank on Lamar (behind the "hippy" market)
            Near La Victoria in the Mall del Rio
            Inside the pedestrian underpass at Fierra Libre.