Re: [Cuenca_Ecuador] Re: Hello Fellow Cuenca Expats! Anyone Here a Computer Geek?

  • Caroline Drummond
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010
      Dear Geddy,

      Before Etapa, I had two other services in Manta and Cuenca (Porta wireless), and both were slow as molasses.  When we moved to Challuabamba, our only choice was Etapa, and I was expecting to have more of the same, only to be delightfully surprised at the fast speeds I got right away, and continue to get.  I have no idea why I am getting the speeds I do, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!  I thought part of it was because I went from wireless to wired connections, but other people report that they are getting 4-5 Mbps with Etapa also and I think they may be using wireless, though I am not sure.  Right now, I pay $85 per month for a 2.1 MB service, but it appears, the $50 plan is getting the same 4-5 Mbps speeds, so I may change to it.

      About getting Netflix, yes, it seems the secret is that you do have to have a VPN service to get it.  I've done a lot of research over the past two weeks, and even a plain old proxy  will not get the job done.  Some VPNs might not either--especially the free ones. And, even if Blu-Ray DVD players are coming installed with Netflix, you will still have to have a VPN service to provide a stateside IP address so Netflix will work. Both Netflix and your ISP can prevent you from connecting if your IP address is from a foreign country.  Last week, I opened an account with acevpn.com and installed it on my laptop, and I just signed up for a strongvpn.com account yesterday, which I am going to use on my office PC.  They both seem to work very well at this point for Netflix, but I am working towards installing one of the two VPN's">VPN's firmware on my router, so all five of our computers, our Wii and our Roku are securely protected while my kids, husband and I use the internet.  If a router has the VPN firmware installed on it, than anything that uses the router gets the protection and IP address anonymity, and you only have to have one account--not an account for each device.

      I hope that all makes sense!  If it doesn't feel free to ask more questions.  I'm not a computer expert--this is just what I have learned through many hours of reading and testing. . .

      Cheers,

      Caroline

      On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:30 -0700, "Geddy Lee" <geddy998@...> wrote:

      Caroline,
      I am really happy to hear you were able to connect to Netflix in Ecuador.  When I tried it in Bolivia, I was unable to connect due to being in Bolivia.  I assumed either Netflix or the internet provider had blocked the connection.  Is VPN the secret to overcoming this?

      Also, many of the new Blu-Ray DVD players are now coming with wireless and Netflix connectivity built in.  That may be the easiest solution for you.

      I was reading some older posts that people were unhappy with their broadband connections in Cuenca and had to pay $115/mo to get a decent speed.  Is that what you do to get the service you enjoy, or has broadband improved recently?
      Thanks.

      Geddy

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2010
        Well I've never needed VPN before, so I don't know much about it...one more thing I'll have to get smart about...geez.

      • Caroline Drummond
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2010
          Yes, I know it is one more thing, but really, it's not that hard!  I thought the same thing at first. At www.strongvpn.com, they can actually help you get things set up via a remote connection. Or, if/when you come here, I'd be happy to help!  Where are you now--in Bolivia or the states?
          --
          Caroline Drummond

> [...]

          > > --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups">Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com <Cuenca_Ecuador%40yahoogroups">Cuenca_Ecuador%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "drummondo5" <cdrummond@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Everyone! I really need a computer expert's (or any level of
          > > expertise) who can speak English and has enjoyed Netflix in the states prior
          > > to coming to Cuenca? I would like to figure out how to set up our TV to
          > > receive Netflix via a hard-wired connection. I've done a lot of research,
          > > but it is bit beyond my expertise. I already have the VPN set up to get
          > > Netflix on my computer and it works beautifully, but getting it to work on
          > > my TV is much more involved. Help! Anyone! I will gladly pay for your help
          > > if you can help me figure this out.
          > > >
          > > > Or, likewise, if you know of a Cuencano computer geek who speaks pretty
          > > good English that you've used (and love), please send his or her info my

        • Geddy

> [...]

            > > --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups">Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com <Cuenca_Ecuador%40yahoogroups">Cuenca_Ecuador%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "drummondo5" <cdrummond@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Everyone! I really need a computer expert's (or any level of
            > > expertise) who can speak English and has enjoyed Netflix in the states prior
            > > to coming to Cuenca? I would like to figure out how to set up our TV to
            > > receive Netflix via a hard-wired connection. I've done a lot of research,
            > > but it is bit beyond my expertise. I already have the VPN set up to get
            > > Netflix on my computer and it works beautifully, but getting it to work on
            > > my TV is much more involved. Help! Anyone! I will gladly pay for your help
            > > if you can help me figure this out.
            > > >
            > > > Or, likewise, if you know of a Cuencano computer geek who speaks pretty
            > > good English that you've used (and love), please send his or her info my

          • Caroline Drummond
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2010
              I know the place well--I used to live in Pensacola. Sealing grout
              isn't fun, but what a beautiful place to live!

              On 11/3/10, Geddy <geddy998@...> wrote:
              > At the moment I'm sealing grout in our home near Ft Walton Beach FL. YUCK.
            • Geddy Lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
                Thanks for the Strong VPN link.  I saw that some users may experience faster downloads due to bypassing the ISP throttles.  That may be helping you get better speeds.
                Do you have Dish Network?  I was wondering if I could bring my dish from the U.S. to use there.  Some of my friends in Panama get their dish network from Puerto Rico, since it has more of the US channels.

                Geddy

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
                  Sorry Geddy, I cannot comment on the Direct TV questions, as we do not use TV.  I know a lot of other expats have it though, so maybe it would be in order to start a new post on that subject so more people can give you their experience with it.  It seems you should be able to do that, but often times, things that seem logical, just aren't here. . . word to the wise!  :)  But, as with anything that poses a challenge, I find that one can make do without, find a replacement, or you can find a way around things--just like I am with Netflix.

                  You may be right about the getting faster speeds due to bypassing the ISP--it could be that and having a wired connection.  Or, l'm thinking it could be that Etapa has just quietly increased it's Mbps for current customers to make sure it is going to have a consistent 5 Mbps prior to announcing to the public, to be sure they can meet demand?

                  Also, for your info, there seems to be several retired service members here.  I only did a four year stint in the AF, and another four in the reserves.  And, in my humble opinion, if you have a miltary retirement you should be able to exist here very comfortably.

                  --
                  Caroline Drummond