Gardens, Bicycling, Etc.

  • Theodore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6 7:16 PM
      Today I am new to the group and have been interested in Cuenca since I discovered this article:

      http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/On-Retirement/2010/06/28/the-worlds-most-affordable-retirement-haven.html

      I am in the research phase (considering a visit & retirement destination) while refreshing my Spanish. Your posts here are much appreciated!

      Based on the temperature range I would guess most produce can be grown locally. Does anyone have a garden & what do you typically grow? FYI, I grew up on a farm, but enjoy exploring a city.

      I like to bicycle for transportation as well as exercise. Is bicycling a pleasant experience in Cuenca (roads conditions, vehicle courtesy, many places to explore)? Are there bike shops & places to rent a bicycle if I were to pay a visit?

      If some of you have some favorite photos it would be nice to see some posted here in the "Photos" folder.

      So would anyone like to share there favorite way to pass the day in Cuenca?

      Thanks, Ted
    • crystal dragonfly

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8 10:00 AM
          Yes, I also joined Ecuador_expat...I was just waiting for acceptance.

          I figured bicycling would be adventuresome.
          Yes, I have researched Ecuador residency.

          Thanks, Ted

          --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, crystal dragonfly <crystaldragonflyshop@...> wrote:

          > This is a great, but small group. I would suggest also joining the
          > Ecuador_expat yahoo group and read all the posts in the archives. We are
          > moving to the Cuenca area this September. Depending on your elevation which
          > varies greatly in and around Cuenca, you can grow lemons and papayas as well
          > as green beans and broccoli. Go on YouTube and search for Cuenca for videos.
          > You can get pictures from the Ecuador_expat yahoo group archives. Biking ???
          > We have mountain bikes for maybe touring the Cajas or places in the Amazon.
          > There is no such thing as "courtesy" on the roads in Ecuador so be
          > careful... Cuenca traffic is similar to NYC !!! Also keep in mind that
          > Ecuador is not anything like living in the U.S. Check residency requirements
          > !!!
          > On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Theodore <ted-gregg@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Today I am new to the group and have been interested in Cuenca since I
          > > discovered this article:
          > >

          > > http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/On-Retirement/2010/06/28/the-worlds-most-affordable-retirement-haven.html
          > >
          > > I am in the research phase (considering a visit & retirement destination)
          > > while refreshing my Spanish. Your posts here are much appreciated!
          > >
          > > Based on the temperature range I would guess most produce can be grown
          > > locally. Does anyone have a garden & what do you typically grow? FYI, I grew
          > > up on a farm, but enjoy exploring a city.
          > >
          > > I like to bicycle for transportation as well as exercise. Is bicycling a
          > > pleasant experience in Cuenca (roads conditions, vehicle courtesy, many
          > > places to explore)? Are there bike shops & places to rent a bicycle if I
          > > were to pay a visit?
          > >
          > > If some of you have some favorite photos it would be nice to see some
          > > posted here in the "Photos" folder.
          > >
          > > So would anyone like to share there favorite way to pass the day in Cuenca?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Ted

        • retired_poppi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8 12:29 PM
            > I like to bicycle for transportation as well as exercise. Is bicycling a pleasant experience in Cuenca (roads conditions, vehicle courtesy, many places to explore)? Are there bike shops & places to rent a bicycle if I were to pay a visit?

            > Thanks, Ted

            Ted

            You will find many bicycle shops and riders in Cuenca. However, bicycles tend to be used for recreation rather than transportation. There are frequent group rides where the streets are blocked off and police escort the riders.

            Otherwise, the streets are very bicycle unfriendly. The country side is also not attractive for bicycles because there are no shoulders. The only people I see using bicycles for transportation are young labors, for example, I often see workers with weed-whackers riding bicycles to the next lawn mowing site.
          • Ivo Stainoff
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8 7:58 PM
            You can see more expensive bikes in Cuenca than in NYC. There are many, many, bike shops where you can buy, rent or strike a real good deal for a used bike(basic bike that is). Even, high end down hill full suspension used bikes are advertised all the time on b.boards at the high end bike shops (prices are from 1K and up).
            Given the fact that pedestrians in Ecuador are walking targets, drivers are infinitely more mindful about cyclists. Just like anywhere, a cyclist needs to be super aware of the traffic around and ride defensively. I ride in and around Cuenca and have found drivers more courteous than in NYC. Cuancanos love bikes (esp. mountain bikes) and there are many riding groups for all levels that are easy to join...just ask at any of the high end bike shops. The only worry about riding (esp. in the country and mountain roads) are dogs. They just love to go for your ankles (since it's the most moving part), so a pepper spray might be a handy tool (love dogs but not when in groups and biting) if you're a lonesome rider out in the country side.  From my experience the ultrasonic devices against dogs are not effective (wish they were).
            I'm selling my Ironhorse Warrior Trail 19" full suspension, 24 speed, in great condition, with sigma cyclo computer  bike for $850. Please see pic and if interested, shoot me an email: ivocin@...   Need to sell it fast.

          • angelblessing333@sbcglobal.net
            Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8 8:30 PM
              Ted:

              I was thinking of you this evening while in Parque Calderon in downtown Cuenca - a group of cyclists went by on a blocked off lane of the street next to freddo's ice cream shop. Seemed very organized, with about 30 riders, oranges cones blocking the street, and policia keeping everything on track!

              Looked like a pretty safe way to tour Cuenca by bicycle...other than that, there is no right-of-way for bicycles, nor pedestrians, for that matter. It's get out of the way fast if you are afoot. Sort of like playing dodge cars.

              Patty