Re: [Cuenca_Ecuador] Digest Number 153

  • Don Loseff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010
       Hi Dan,

      We are just finishing up a school year in Cuenca, and our kids have attended the private school Alborada.  We were originally considering Santana, based on what we read about it on their web site.  But a Cuenca friend told us about Alborada, and we liked what we saw.  Our girls are 10 and 12, so one was in the Escuela (6th grade), and the other was in the Colegio (8th grade).  (Note that they count grades a little differently here, so your kids might be, numerically, in one grade higher than they would have been in the States.)

      Alborada is set in a beautiful wooded (eucalyptus) campus,about 5 km west of the historic center, heading towards Cajas.  The classrooms are in little 2 room houses.  They have a bici-cross course, which is something they are quite proud of, and something both or girls enjoyed participating in.  The quality of the education is good, not like we had in the states, but about as good as any other private school here.

      Alborada doesn't have a very good web presence, so it is hard to learn about from the States.  We were able to enroll our girls in late August, just a few weeks before school starts.  The director of the Escuela is Maestra Ligia Vidal, (her cell phone is 099 099 390 - I don't believe she speaks very much english) and she is very attentive, and has lots of experience.  There were very few kids from the US there, which was exactly what we were looking for - it really helped their Spanish acquisition.  One of the reasons we chose Alborada over Santana was that Santana had 80 min. of English a day, whereas at Alborada it was 40.

      Don

      On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 07:44 +0000, Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

      1a.
      Re: Schools for Children From: danprince2

      Message

      1a.

      Re: Schools for Children

      Posted by: "danprince2" dan.prince@...   danprince2

      Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 am (PDT)

      Hello,

      We are considering spending a year in Cuenca with our 2 kids, ages 7 and 9. Katrina, Jessica, are you still reading this forum? I'd love an update about which schools you chose and whether you've been happy with them or not.

      Does anyone else have any experience with other schools, other than Santana and CEDEI?

      Thanks,
      Dan

      --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, jessicachornesky <chornesky@. ..> wrote:

      > Thanks!