Re: Montezuma

  • Mark Fogleman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2013
      There are many ways to get a GI bug and there are much easier ways to become infected than by drinking water.

      Glasses, plates, cutlery, menus, tablecloths, cell phones, TV remotes, auto steering wheels/transmission shifter knobs, door knobs, check-out credit card machines,  ATMs, pens at checkout counters and in restaurants for signing your credit card receipt, sink faucets,toilet levers, handrails, elevator buttons, shopping carts, etc, etc are are all easily contaminated with bacteria (e. Coli, Salmonella, c. Dif ) from our own and/or others' dirty hands.  We unconsciously touch our face and lips very often and can introduce pathogens to our mouth/nose/eyes quickly.  In kitchens, fluids from raw meat and raw poultry contacting food which is served raw or slightly cooked (salads, crudite, eggs, etc) are a problem.  This is due to inadequate disinfection of prep areas or close proximity to an area where raw meat is being prepared or stored. and is very common in restaurants and home kitchens everywhere on Earth...not just Latin America.  We recently had an e. Coli outbreak here in North Carolina at a local seafood restaurant which was deadly.  A few of the kitchen staff slaughtered a goat in the restaurant kitchen after hours and did not disinfect the kitchenware and surfaces adequately.

      Noro/Norwalk virus can also cause  GI system problems.  Common hard and soft surfaces and microscopic spores floating in the air are the vectors.  It's very, very contagious and debilitating: http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/index.html
      This is the bug which is common on cruise ships.

      There are lots of opportunities for contamination.  Water is just one.
      Wash your hands!