Property Search in Cuenca

  • KarenK
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
      We will be moving to Cuenca soon, and I have been researching Condos, Apartments and homes in Cuenca through several links and the Cuencanos newspaper. These mostly give neighborhoods, and not streets and if there is a map locator, I do not know anything about the neighborhood. I have a huge map of Cuenca, but most of the neighborhoods are not on the map or the streets are not listed.
      I am wondering if there is anyone who lives in Cuenca who I could speak with off the forum and occasionally ask questions about the neighborhoods noted on the places we are intersted in.
      Thanks
      Karen & Randy
      klkimbler@...
    • sin_duda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
        What are you ideally looking for? I'm sure that between those of us living in Cuenca for awhile, we could pretty much cover the bases. I doubt you need any introduction to the Historic Center, commonly referred to as town or simply Cuenca.

        Out west, Ordonez Lasso, is where the condos first began springing up and still the largest concentration of high-rise condos. That area runs towards the Cajas from Avenida de Las Americas and over to the Tomebamba River. On the other side of the river is Puertas del Sol.

        Condos are now also prolific along the Yanuncay, both on 1 de Mayo and some on 27 de Febrero. This area is closer to town and is south of town.

        Riocaurte is north of town. Miraflores is by the airport. The University of Azuay is south across from the Yanuncay, a bit west of 3 Puentes.

        San Joaquin is west towards the Cajas and is where surburban sprawl is happening as countryside is transformed by McMansions...same for Challaubamba east of town. Both are about 15 minutes away.

        So there are a few to start. If you have specific questions about specific areas, that's much easier than a broad overview.

        --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "KarenK" <klkimbler@...> wrote:

        > We will be moving to Cuenca soon, and I have been researching Condos, Apartments and homes in Cuenca through several links and the Cuencanos newspaper. These mostly give neighborhoods, and not streets and if there is a map locator, I do not know anything about the neighborhood. I have a huge map of Cuenca, but most of the neighborhoods are not on the map or the streets are not listed.
        > I am wondering if there is anyone who lives in Cuenca who I could speak with off the forum and occasionally ask questions about the neighborhoods noted on the places we are intersted in.
        > Thanks
        > Karen & Randy
        > klkimbler@...

      • Karen Kimbler
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
          Wow Sin_duda,Thanks!
          Thats great detailed information. This link is one that I can find on the map but I do not know if it has progressed in its construction. The agency wants me to come in (ha cant do that yet). But if the construction is stalled then I would not consider it... as we would like to buy within a month of getting to Ecuador, so we can get our cedula's.

          Again Thanks for your assistance

          What are you ideally looking for? I'm sure that between those of us living in Cuenca for awhile, we could pretty much cover the bases. I doubt you need any introduction to the Historic Center, commonly referred to as town or simply Cuenca.

          Out west, Ordonez Lasso, is where the condos first began springing up and still the largest concentration of high-rise condos. That area runs towards the Cajas from Avenida de Las Americas and over to the Tomebamba River. On the other side of the river is Puertas del Sol.

          Condos are now also prolific along the Yanuncay, both on 1 de Mayo and some on 27 de Febrero. This area is closer to town and is south of town.

          Riocaurte is north of town. Miraflores is by the airport. The University of Azuay is south across from the Yanuncay, a bit west of 3 Puentes.

          San Joaquin is west towards the Cajas and is where surburban sprawl is happening as countryside is transformed by McMansions.. .same for Challaubamba east of town. Both are about 15 minutes away.

          So there are a few to start. If you have specific questions about specific areas, that's much easier than a broad overview.

          --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, "KarenK" <klkimbler@. ..> wrote:

          > We will be moving to Cuenca soon, and I have been researching Condos, Apartments and homes in Cuenca through several links and the Cuencanos newspaper. These mostly give neighborhoods, and not streets and if there is a map locator, I do not know anything about the neighborhood. I have a huge map of Cuenca, but most of the neighborhoods are not on the map or the streets are not listed.
          > I am wondering if there is anyone who lives in Cuenca who I could speak with off the forum and occasionally ask questions about the neighborhoods noted on the places we are intersted in.
          > Thanks
          > Karen & Randy
          > klkimbler@.. .

        • Scott Creasey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
            Do you have a lawyer yet? I am not recommending one, but I do have one, just not one in Cuenca. Mine is in Quito.

            My reason for asking is... I live here. I have seen too many times where people think that the purchase price is enough to get them a cedula and investors visa. this is not always the case. the taxable amount of a property can be as little as 10% of the actual sale price and thus your investment is counted as the taxable amount not the amount of purchase.

            I found some really nice places for sale and rent in Cuenca's old town just wandering the streets that I know were not listed by any so called agency. That agency you spoke with is an agent because they claim to be, nothing more. Just like Budwesier is the King of beers. Because they say they are, not because they are the best or even the best sellers.

            When we bought our beach lot, the sale price was $70k, we argued the price down. the owner wanted to do us a favor by putting on paper that we actually gave less than the agreed upon price. This saves him paying taxes on part of the money. Plus he said it would save us money on property taxes. The municipality shows the value of taxable land as being $3k. and our annual taxes? $105 big deal.

            We went with an investor's visa. Set up by our attorney. Via our personal banker in Cuenca at the bank of pichincha. His ffice is on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of teh river from old town Cuenca.  He is on vacation this week, but his name is Omar B. Just ask for Omar. He gave us 6% on the certificate of deposit. The interest supports us for 3 months. The amount depositted? $26k for 3 people. That works out to $25k for the primary and $500 for each additional relative applying for residency.

            Knowing alot of people in Cuenca, the last thing I would do is allow some self proclaimed real estate agent or 'buddy' of a develper who knows of a great place find me a house or apartment. When you are ready to buy, get every scrap of information you can on the owner and as it relates to the property. Spend the day at the Registrar's office, the Municipality Office, and the Notary's office. If everything seem legit, then take the matter to your attorney, because there is still more investigating that is required. the notary will explain it. But the office to do this is not in Cuenca and thus it is easier to pay someone else to do it for you. A certified and notarized form is required showing that the owner has been investigated by a government office of which the name escapes me as I write this. It also shows that the investigation was done on the property to verify that there are no leins or judgements against the property. Once you have this form, the plat drawings, the blueprints, the original deed, and every other scrap of info, you take it all to the notary, who writes your new deed, this should cost about $150. Yes I said notary, ut your attorney. most attorney's have no clue about real estate laws. Notaries do this every day.

            Good luck.

            David "Scott" Creasey
            Puerto Lopez
            Manabi, Ecuador

            http://www.ecuadorenventa.com/propiedad/Departamentos--Cuenca-Centro_13028

            Again Thanks for your assistance

            What are you ideally looking for? I'm sure that between those of us living in Cuenca for awhile, we could pretty much cover the bases. I doubt you need any introduction to the Historic Center, commonly referred to as town or simply Cuenca.

            Out west, Ordonez Lasso, is where the condos first began springing up and still the largest concentration of high-rise condos. That area runs towards the Cajas from Avenida de Las Americas and over to the Tomebamba River. On the other side of the river is Puertas del Sol.

            Condos are now also prolific along the Yanuncay, both on 1 de Mayo and some on 27 de Febrero. This area is closer to town and is south of town.

            Riocaurte is north of town. Miraflores is by the airport. The University of Azuay is south across from the Yanuncay, a bit west of 3 Puentes.

            San Joaquin is west towards the Cajas and is where surburban sprawl is happening as countryside is transformed by McMansions.. .same for Challaubamba east of town. Both are about 15 minutes away.

            So there are a few to start. If you have specific questions about specific areas, that's much easier than a broad overview.

            --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, "KarenK" <klkimbler@. ..> wrote:

            > We will be moving to Cuenca soon, and I have been researching Condos, Apartments and homes in Cuenca through several links and the Cuencanos newspaper. These mostly give neighborhoods, and not streets and if there is a map locator, I do not know anything about the neighborhood. I have a huge map of Cuenca, but most of the neighborhoods are not on the map or the streets are not listed.
            > I am wondering if there is anyone who lives in Cuenca who I could speak with off the forum and occasionally ask questions about the neighborhoods noted on the places we are intersted in.
            > Thanks
            > Karen & Randy
            > klkimbler@.. .

          • sin_duda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
              That seems to be at the end of Calle Larga, somewhere between Vargas Machuca and Huaynacapac. Banco Central is a museum on the corner of Calle Larga and Huaynacapac. And I'm not sure if I'm spelling Huaynacapac right and don't have a map. You would have nice views there, but depending on where it is, could be noisy. The Tomebamba river is just below. I love the Incan ruins lit up at night behind Banco Central...beautiful.

              I'll go by when I have the chance and see if I see the construction.

              --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kimbler <klkimbler@...> wrote:

              > Wow Sin_duda,Thanks!
              > Thats great detailed information. This link is one that I can find on the map but I do not know if it has progressed in its construction. The agency wants me to come in (ha cant do that yet). But if the construction is stalled then I would not consider it... as we would like to buy within a month of getting to Ecuador, so we can get our cedula's.
              >
              > http://www.ecuadorenventa.com/propiedad/Departamentos--Cuenca-Centro_13028
              >
              > Again Thanks for your assistance

            • sin_duda
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
                Good info, but I think she was simply trying to figure out the location.