Need advice: Weather and Packing questions

  • Lucky Bunny
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
      First of all, Happy 4th of July!

      I'm leaving for EC on Tuesday, 7/10! Yippee! I'll be in Quito for 4 days and in/around Cuenca for about 20 days.

      And the packing questions are <drum roll...>

      I hear that it's been cool/rainy in Cuenca lately? I live in So Calif so I'm no stranger to micro-climates and things like 40 degree temp changes in a 24h period.

      I'm using a backpack and want to be sure that I don't bring a bunch of useless stuff to haul around.

      Specific questions:

      1. Do I need to bring a parka, or will a sturdy rain jacket w/hood be OK?
      2. Are sturdy, comfortable sandals (Clark's) OK during the day? Also plan to bring a pair of walking shoes/boots, of course.
      3. If sandals are not appropriate, what do you recommend?
      4. Are laundry services accessible in Cuenca?
      5. Is casual clothing OK? Not planning to attend any gala balls with Pres Correa (or Julian Assage) but one never knows <grin>

      ANY other tips/suggestions etc. would be MOST appreciated.

      Tamara
    • Rollie Mohler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
        1. A light weight windbreaker and a wide brim hat is all I use and so far that has been plentry.
        2. Should be
        3. yes, if you need help finding a laundry...let me know.  I get a laundry bag done in a day for around $3.
        4. Causal is okay. I usually wear blue jeans with a t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt over the t-shirt.  If I get warm, I peel off the shirt

        Once you get in Cuenca, let me know...I'll give you a down and dirty tour.  Where are you staying in Cuenca?

        Rollie

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
          It's cold at night in Cuenca, even in the restaurants which often have fires or heaters. Tho you can buy alpaca sweaters for $20 or $30 downtown and they are incredibly warm...

          And be aware of the altitude change if u live at low altitude. It's a good idea to bring powdered electrolytes, one of the best handlings for altitude problems.

          Sent from my iPad

[...]

        • Stella Lake
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2012
            Hi Marianne,
            What do you mean by "altitude problems" ? We currently live at 5.000 ft above sea level.
            We are planning to live in Ecuador starting next year.  Will the added altitude create a change for us, healthwise or otherwise ?
            Stella

            On 7/4/2012 4:20 PM, Marianne Eight wrote:

[...]

          • Sagrada Siempre

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
                Hi, everyone,
                Thanks for all of the great advice. Yes, I'm coming from So Calif (about 1200' elev).

                I spent a couple of weeks in San Cristobal de las Casas (Chiapas, MEX)which I believe is at about 7000'. Stayed in an inexpensive hotel and all the rooms had woodburning fireplaces because it was so cold at night. Was comfortable during the day.

                What is it about electrolyte powders that help with altitude? Several people have suggestged coca tea (?)

                I arrive into Quito on Wednesday, and Cuenca the following Sunday. Very excited to finally check it out.

                --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Eight <marianne8@...> wrote:

                > It's cold at night in Cuenca, even in the restaurants which often have fires or heaters. Tho you can buy alpaca sweaters for $20 or $30 downtown and they are incredibly warm...
                >
                > And be aware of the altitude change if u live at low altitude. It's a good idea to bring powdered electrolytes, one of the best handlings for altitude problems.
                >

                > Sent from my iPad
                >
                > On Jul 4, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Lucky Bunny <Tamara@...> wrote:
                >
                > > First of all, Happy 4th of July!
                > >
                > > I'm leaving for EC on Tuesday, 7/10! Yippee! I'll be in Quito for 4 days and in/around Cuenca for about 20 days.
                > >
                > > And the packing questions are <drum roll...>
                > >
                > > I hear that it's been cool/rainy in Cuenca lately? I live in So Calif so I'm no stranger to micro-climates and things like 40 degree temp changes in a 24h period.
                > >
                > > I'm using a backpack and want to be sure that I don't bring a bunch of useless stuff to haul around.
                > >
                > > Specific questions:
                > >
                > > 1. Do I need to bring a parka, or will a sturdy rain jacket w/hood be OK?
                > > 2. Are sturdy, comfortable sandals (Clark's) OK during the day? Also plan to bring a pair of walking shoes/boots, of course.
                > > 3. If sandals are not appropriate, what do you recommend?
                > > 4. Are laundry services accessible in Cuenca?
                > > 5. Is casual clothing OK? Not planning to attend any gala balls with Pres Correa (or Julian Assage) but one never knows <grin>
                > >
                > > ANY other tips/suggestions etc. would be MOST appreciated.
                > >
                > > Tamara

              • Marianne Eight
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
                  Coca tea is a good handling. The data on electrolytes came from my study of altitude sickness, several different sources. It seems to help a lot from reports I have read.

                  I also have a small personal ozone generator I wear round my neck if I get very short of oxygen.

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Jul 9, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Lucky Bunny <Tamara@...> wrote:

                  Hi, everyone,
                  Thanks for all of the great advice. Yes, I'm coming from So Calif (about 1200' elev).

                  I spent a couple of weeks in San Cristobal de las Casas (Chiapas, MEX)which I believe is at about 7000'. Stayed in an inexpensive hotel and all the rooms had woodburning fireplaces because it was so cold at night. Was comfortable during the day.

                  What is it about electrolyte powders that help with altitude? Several people have suggestged coca tea (?)

                  I arrive into Quito on Wednesday, and Cuenca the following Sunday. Very excited to finally check it out.

                  --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Eight <marianne8@...> wrote:

                  > It's cold at night in Cuenca, even in the restaurants which often have fires or heaters. Tho you can buy alpaca sweaters for $20 or $30 downtown and they are incredibly warm...
                  >
                  > And be aware of the altitude change if u live at low altitude. It's a good idea to bring powdered electrolytes, one of the best handlings for altitude problems.
                  >

                  > Sent from my iPad
                  >
                  > On Jul 4, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Lucky Bunny <Tamara@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > First of all, Happy 4th of July!
                  > >
                  > > I'm leaving for EC on Tuesday, 7/10! Yippee! I'll be in Quito for 4 days and in/around Cuenca for about 20 days.
                  > >
                  > > And the packing questions are <drum roll...>
                  > >
                  > > I hear that it's been cool/rainy in Cuenca lately? I live in So Calif so I'm no stranger to micro-climates and things like 40 degree temp changes in a 24h period.
                  > >
                  > > I'm using a backpack and want to be sure that I don't bring a bunch of useless stuff to haul around.
                  > >
                  > > Specific questions:
                  > >
                  > > 1. Do I need to bring a parka, or will a sturdy rain jacket w/hood be OK?
                  > > 2. Are sturdy, comfortable sandals (Clark's) OK during the day? Also plan to bring a pair of walking shoes/boots, of course.
                  > > 3. If sandals are not appropriate, what do you recommend?
                  > > 4. Are laundry services accessible in Cuenca?
                  > > 5. Is casual clothing OK? Not planning to attend any gala balls with Pres Correa (or Julian Assage) but one never knows <grin>
                  > >
                  > > ANY other tips/suggestions etc. would be MOST appreciated.
                  > >
                  > > Tamara

                • Dan Madera
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
                    Some people experience no symptoms from the altitude here in Quito (9400 feet).
                    Others take a few days to adjust.  A few have minor symptoms.  My guess is that
                    if you already live at that altitude and have no problems, you won't have problems
                    here either.

                    Dan

                    To: Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com; marianne8@...