Flours

  • Susannah Maxwell
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
      Does anyone know where to buy the following flours in Cuenca:

      Sourgum
      Jowar
      Milo
      Light Buckwheat
      Brown Rice

      Thanks

    • americuencano@fastmail.fm
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
        Gluten intolerant also?  I just found out I am about a month ago, so it's been an odyssey in re-learning how to eat again, and to find flour I can eat.

        So far, I have found banana flour, tapioca, brown rice, quinoa flour, millet, lima bean flour, yucca starch, garbanzo beans. The ones that don't have "flour" behind them I had to grind myself. The Camari store by Parque El Madre carries the millet.  The rest can be found at Supermaxi and Corral.

        So far, I have not found any of the others you mentioned.

        Hope this helps!

        On Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 08:03 AM, Susannah Maxwell wrote:

        Does anyone know where to buy the following flours in Cuenca:

        Sourgum
        Jowar
        Milo
        Light Buckwheat
        Brown Rice

        Thanks

        Gluten

      • Susannah Maxwell
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          Thanks for the info.  I have found alot of the floours you mentioned in either Supermaxi or Coral but I have yet to find Brown Rice flour.  Did you grind this yourself?

          I am not gluten intolerent but I make bread for sale and have had requests for gluten free bread.  If you have any suggestions please let me know

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2012
            Dear Susannah,

            Sorry for the VERY late reply. However, I have had nearly four
            consecutive weeks of allergic reactions and can't seem to keep up with
            anything lately. This GF learning and living has literally turned my
            health and my life upside down!

            The answer to your question is, yes, i have to grind my own brown rice
            flour in my Vitamix.

            I have not had any success yet making a "real" GF bread, so if you know
            how and you would like to either sell some to me, or teach me, I would
            be ever so grateful! And, my kids would be, too!

            On Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 12:42 PM, Susannah Maxwell wrote:
            > Thanks for the info.  I have found alot of the floours you mentioned in
            > either Supermaxi or Coral but I have yet to find Brown Rice flour.  Did
            > you grind this yourself?
            > I am not gluten intolerent but I make bread for sale and have had
            > requests for gluten free bread.  If you have any suggestions please let
            > me know
            >
            > --- On Mon, 4/2/12, americuencano@... <americuencano@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: americuencano@... <americuencano@...>
            > Subject: Re: [Cuenca_Ecuador] Flours
            > To: "Cuenca_ Ecuador" <Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Monday, April 2, 2012, 3:11 PM

            > Gluten intolerant also?  I just found out I am about a month ago, so it's been an odyssey in re-learning how to eat again, and to find flour I can eat.
            >

            > So far, I have found banana flour, tapioca, brown rice, quinoa flour, millet, lima bean flour, yucca starch, garbanzo beans. The ones that don't have "flour" behind them I had to grind myself. The Camari store by Parque El Madre carries the millet.  The rest can be found at Supermaxi and Corral.
            >

            > So far, I have not found any of the others you mentioned.
            >

            > Hope this helps!
            >

            > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012, at 08:03 AM, Susannah Maxwell wrote:

            > Does anyone know where to buy the following flours in Cuenca:
            >

            > Sourgum
            >
            > Jowar
            >
            > Milo
            >
            > Light Buckwheat
            >
            > Brown Rice
            >

            > Thanks
            >

            > Gluten

          • Yo-nv a-di-si
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2012
              I have my own GFCF bread recipes using the Cuisinart Bread Machine and will post more later.

              4 CUPS BROWN RICE FLOUR

              6 TSP XANTHAN GUM (IF YOU CAN FIND IT)

              2 TSP SALT

              6 TSP YEAST

              4 TSP STEVIA

              1 TBSP OR MORE CINNAMON

              ½ PACKAGE OR MORE WALNUTS

              MIX DRY INGREDIENTS WELL BEFORE ADDING THE REST

              1 CHOPPED BANANA

              4 EGGS

              3 1/2 TO 4 CUPS HOT WATER WITH 2 TBSP DORINA (CASEIN FREE MARGARINE AT SUPERMAXI)YOU WANT THE MIX THICK AND NOT WATERY

              POUR SOME MELTED DORINA IN BOTTOM OF BAKE PAN BEFORE ADDING MIX

              POUR 1 TBSP MELTED DORINA ON TOP OF MIX IN PAN – SMOOTH TOP OF MIX WITH SPOON

              BAKE FOR 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES (THE CUSINART DOESN'T HAVE A TEMPERATURE SETTING)

              PLACE IN FREEZER BEFORE SLICING

              MAKES A GOOD BREAKFAST TOAST
            • americuencano@fastmail.fm
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                Thank you for posting this recipe--it looks delicious!   Any more forthcoming would be great!  I know of at least four  people who are GF here, and others just not doing gluten for the health of it.  In fact, I have not had any bread now for over three months, so I would love to be able to make it.  My kids would probably love it also.

                However, being newly diagnosed in the last two months, I do not have a Cuisinart Bread Machine.  Did you buy it here? And if so, where and how much?

                Also, another big problem is finding the gums necessary to make GF foods.  I have searched high and low and no one that I know of even knows what Xanthum or Guar gum is or where to find it. (And, most of the docs here aren't familiar with gluten intolerance or CD either!) However, I will be getting a bag of stuff here in the next two weeks, so I will be ordering GF items.

                Can you recommend any specific brands and best prices/sources for GF things like Xanthum gum and other items you like?  Do you also know of a good shampoo, by any chance, that does not have wheat proteins in it or gluten--I have since found out many personal items cause reactions, especially hair care products.  They have for me already.

                Thanks for any more info!

                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                  Another GFCF bread recipe:

                  4 CUPS BROWN RICE FLOUR

                  4 TSP STEVIA

                  7 TSP YEAST

                  2 TSP XANTHAN GUM (IF YOU CAN FIND IT) SKIP IT IF YOU CAN'T BUT IT TENDS TO HOLD THE BREAD TOGETHER A LITTLE BETTER

                  1 TSP SALT

                  3 CUPS DRY OATMEAL

                  2 TSP TAPIOCA (IF YOU CAN FIND IT) SKIP IT IF YOU CAN'T

                  1 TSP ARROWROOT (IF YOU CAN FIND IT) SKIP IT IF YOU CAN'T

                  MIX DRY INGREDIENTS WELL BEFORE ADDING THE REST

                  3 EGGS

                  2 2/3 CUPS HOT WATER WITH ANOTHER 1/3 CUP McCormick GARLIC AND HERB VINAIGRETTE FOR 3 CUPS TOTAL

                  POUR SOME MELTED DORINA IN BOTTOM OF BAKE PAN BEFORE ADDING MIX

                  POUR 1 TBSP MELTED DORINA ON TOP OF MIX IN PAN – SMOOTH TOP OF MIX WITH SPOON

                  BAKE 1 HOUR AND 10 MINUTES (I USE THIS WITH THE CUISINART - YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST IF USING AN OVEN)IF IT BAKES LONGER IT WILL JUST HAVE A THICKER CRUST

                  BTW - I MIX EVERYTHING IN A LARGE BOWL AND DON'T USE THE CUISINART MIXING PADDLE

                  HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU!

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                    Thank you again!  I will definitely try this revised recipe!

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2012
                      Sukasa sells the Cuisinart bread machine for about $400 but Cosotto has it for a whole lot less. I bought mine from Amazon but had Cosotto been open at the time it would have cost even less.

                      The flours I have to order from Amazon and have a shipper send to Ecuador then hassle getting it through customs.

                      If you can use Club Correas with a credit card it would be the best way to get the flours here. There is a weight limit of I think 4 kg. For more information on this go to the Post Office and see Nicolas Lopez on the second floor. Nicolas speaks English and can help with Club Correas.

                      The Ener G rice breads are very good but the nearest distributor is in Lima Peru.

                      There are two stores in Cuenca selling imported foods:
                      Cadelaes
                      Remigio Crespo 5-18 (near Unidad Nacional..next to Boyaca)
                      Phone: 288-0966
                      OR
                      Eloy Alfaro 5-99 y Padre Monrroy (esquina del Mercado 12 de Abril)
                      Phone: 286-8125 or 286-8072

                      Sorry I don't know about the shampoos.
                    • americuencano@fastmail.fm

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 17, 2012