Atitude sickness remedies

  • Patty
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
      Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?

      Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the ususally prescribed prescription drugs.

      Thanks...
    • isabelthedog
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
        Coca mate tea - available in the natural foods stores.

        --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "Patty" <angelblessing333@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
        >
        > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
        >
        > Thanks...

      • John Rhodes
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
          We Are also planning a trip to cuenca what drugs are you referring to.
          Should we get the drug in us or wait till we get there to get the
          prescriptions?

          John & Gloria

          On Nov 4, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Patty wrote:

          > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
          >
          > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a
          > week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the
          > altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the
          > ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
          >
          > Thanks...

        • tomwilkinson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
            Some cautionary notes:

            Unless you have past experience that would indicate that Cuenca's altitude of 8300 feet would be a problem for you, I wouldn't recommend taking anything in advance. I live at sea level and spent two weeks in Cuenca recently with no ill effects at all. Admittedly, I had to slow down a bit climbing the steps alongside the Crespo, but I am 60 years old. The altitude may not bother you at all.

            Someone suggested coca de mate tea as a remedy. This apparently is a fairly benign substance, and I haven't heard any reports of hidden toxicities. Some people mistakenly think that 'natural' products are somehow universally safe. 'Nature' is just the place we live; it has no conscious intent and no innately human-friendly design. In fact, many natural substances have evolved to deter predators and poison humans. I have heard that consuming coca de mate tea may cause to you fail certain drug tests, although the tea is not specifically a controlled substance; it's the same with eating poppy seeds.

            --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, John Rhodes <stoveman831@...> wrote:

            > We Are also planning a trip to cuenca what drugs are you referring to.
            > Should we get the drug in us or wait till we get there to get the
            > prescriptions?
            >
            > John & Gloria
            >
            > On Nov 4, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Patty wrote:
            >
            > > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
            > >
            > > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a
            > > week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the
            > > altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the
            > > ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
            > >
            > > Thanks...

          • Patty
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
              Here are the recommendations someone else sent to me...however, I am not willing to take the Rx as I am allergic to sulfa drugs. Also recommended, but not tried yet by me, include large spaghetti dinner prior to landing in Quito and/or high blood pressure pills.

              The symptoms we had were general maliase and fairly minor headache, relieved by Sinutabs at zero altitude at a beautiful Ecuador beach. (We had spent about a week in Quito/Cotacachi and live at 150'.)

              "Prevention
              There are a number of steps you can take to prevent altitude sickness. Wherever possible:

              acclimatise yourself to the high altitudes by slowly ascending the height over several days if possible - don't sleep at altitudes greater than 300m of the previous night
              drink lots of water
              eat a high-carbohydrate diet such as pasta
              don't do any strenuous exercise or activity for the first few days after arrival at high altitude and have rest days planned if you are ascending further
              Acetazolamide (Diamox) has been used increasingly as a preventive medicine to decrease the symptoms of altitude sickness. You should only take this medicine after consulting a doctor. It's not a substitute for common sense and you should descend immediately if your symptoms of altitude sickness get worse.

              Alternatively, you may be able to take dexamethasone. This medicine is effective for both prevention and treatment of altitude sickness and can prevent HAPE if you have suffered from severe altitude sickness before.

              If you have had HAPE before, you may be able to take preventive drugs. Both nifedipine and tadalafil can help to prevent HAPE but aren't suitable for preventing altitude sickness."

              --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, John Rhodes <stoveman831@...> wrote:

              > We Are also planning a trip to cuenca what drugs are you referring to.
              > Should we get the drug in us or wait till we get there to get the
              > prescriptions?
              >
              > John & Gloria
              >
              > On Nov 4, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Patty wrote:
              >
              > > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
              > >
              > > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a
              > > week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the
              > > altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the
              > > ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
              > >
              > > Thanks...

            • Patty
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
                Would you be so kind as to tell me the name of the natural foods store and the location in either Quito or Cuenca? Or do we pick this up at the indigenous market? Thanks so much.

                --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "isabelthedog" <diamond.rough@...> wrote:

                > Coca mate tea - available in the natural foods stores.
                >
                > --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "Patty" <angelblessing333@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
                > >
                > > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
                > >
                > > Thanks...

              • Scott Creasey
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
                  We tried the coca de mate tea. It is not very flavorful, if you enjoy tea. We found no effect at all on helping with the altitude in Quito.

                  I have been told that high doses of vitamin C will help.

                  The Peruvians chew on coca leaves wrapped around small bits of activated charcoal. I have not tried this. But I have seen the leaves in huge sacks being sold by the handful in local markets in Peru.

                  The leaves are not illegal until after they have been processed into narcotics.

                  Time is of course the one thing that will allow you to adjust. It may take a while. But start out slow. Try not to over do it. My biggest issue in Quito and Cuenca isn't the lack of oxygen from altitude but the higher concentration of carbon monoxide from taxis and buses.

                  It is not uncommon to see people walking around with a cloth over their nose and mouth in an effort to prevent inhaling the fumes.

                  Scott

                  Unless you have past experience that would indicate that Cuenca's altitude of 8300 feet would be a problem for you, I wouldn't recommend taking anything in advance. I live at sea level and spent two weeks in Cuenca recently with no ill effects at all. Admittedly, I had to slow down a bit climbing the steps alongside the Crespo, but I am 60 years old. The altitude may not bother you at all.

                  Someone suggested coca de mate tea as a remedy. This apparently is a fairly benign substance, and I haven't heard any reports of hidden toxicities. Some people mistakenly think that 'natural' products are somehow universally safe. 'Nature' is just the place we live; it has no conscious intent and no innately human-friendly design. In fact, many natural substances have evolved to deter predators and poison humans. I have heard that consuming coca de mate tea may cause to you fail certain drug tests, although the tea is not specifically a controlled substance; it's the same with eating poppy seeds.

                  --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, John Rhodes <stoveman831@ ...> wrote:

                  > We Are also planning a trip to cuenca what drugs are you referring to.
                  > Should we get the drug in us or wait till we get there to get the
                  > prescriptions?
                  >
                  > John & Gloria
                  >
                  > On Nov 4, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Patty wrote:
                  >
                  > > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
                  > >
                  > > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a
                  > > week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the
                  > > altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the
                  > > ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks...

                • Michael Forrest
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
                    For a sick attitude...hmmm...maybe read some buddhist scriptures.
                    Ohh, you mean altitude sickness..OK... just take a chelated iron supplement available in any good health food store.

                  • Mary Ann Z Dion
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
                      Hi,

                      There are a few stores along Calle Larga in Cuenca - not really sure of the names - but they are all around the 10 de Augusto mercado. Hope it helps!

                      Salud!
                      MAZ

                      On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:54:30 -0000 "Patty" <angelblessing333@...> writes:

                      Would you be so kind as to tell me the name of the natural foods store and the location in either Quito or Cuenca? Or do we pick this up at the indigenous market? Thanks so much.

                      --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, "isabelthedog" <diamond.rough@ ...> wrote:

                      > Coca mate tea - available in the natural foods stores.
                      >
                      > --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@ yahoogroups. com, "Patty" <angelblessing333@ > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Anyone have any tips for altitude sickness?
                      > >
                      > > Coming back to Ecuador mid-November, flying into Quito, staying a week in Cuenca. My husband and I both had a little problem with the altitude when we were in EC in July...and neither of us can take the ususally prescribed prescription drugs.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks...

                      Liberty University Online
                      Earn your bachelors degree in Criminal Justice online. Get free info!