URGENT Laptop Repair Needed

  • tom.trainer@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      Can anyone recommend a reliable person to fix an Acer laptop urgently?Preferably someone who does home visits.
    • Ernie and Peg Schlichtemeier
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
        I haven't used any of these, but had them in my notes from other expats.
        Xavier Méndez is an electrical engineering major at the Politechnical University of Cuenca. He can work on your PC, laptop or iPad. He can install equipment and take away viruses. Also, he can fix anything mechanical/electrical. Best of all, he speaks perfect English. xavier1687@... or 08-403-5311.
        William is a US-trained computer tech, and electronics problem solver. He can repair most software and hardware, modify WII consoles and Playstation IIs. He also has computer parts and can custom-build computers to your specifications and to fit your needs. 09-863-2687.
        Jose Cortez repairs computers and solves software problem. Jose can work with virus removal on PC and Mac. Speaks English very fluently. 245-5157, 09-5561077 or willmaya@....
        Jonathan can help with your computer, getting connected to internet, or installing He is an American who attended college in Virginia but grew up in Cuenca. 08 482 2495 or jonathanmogrovejo@....
        Ricardo Arteaga Iñiguez is a computer tech. Contact for advice and custom computer classes at home. profesor.informatica.ec@... or 07-408-4174, 08-729-6667
      • tom.trainer@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
          Thanks Ernie and Peg. Very complete response.

        • tom.trainer@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
            Hi guys - A bit of feedback on two of the guys you mentioned.

            William was great. Thanks for the recommendation. He answered all our questions, checked out both hardware and software, and correctly identified the problem as being with the software, not the hardware, so no new parts or materials to buy. He even gave me a free computer repair disc. The computer is now working fine and I would definitely recommend William.

            Unfortunately, before finding William we found Jose Cortez (before we got your email Ernie and Peg). He said on the phone that he could fix the problem at our apartment. When he arrived, he immediately switched off the computer, took the back off and told us we needed to replace the heat-dissipating paste inside. He said he hadn't brought any with him so he would have to go and buy some. We thought this was strange as he diagnosed the very first thing he considered, so why hadn't he brought the relevant materials? He also told us we needed cooling pads for both computers and asked us if we wanted him to buy them for us from his friend's shop.

            He came back half an hour later and said he couldn't get any heat-dissipating paste and had to take the computer away. We asked if he could get his paste from home and fix the computer at ours, to which he responded that he also needed a large air compressor. We thought this strange and asked him why he had not mentioned this before, and why he had said he could fix the computer at ours. He replied with some strange analogy of a dentist.

            We told him we did not want him to take the computer away, to which he responded with another strange analogy about a surgeon. We told him we still did not want him to take it away so out of the blue, apparently as a last desperate gambit, he said "You've got a virus".

            Apart from the fact that, by this time, we had lost all trust in him, there was no way he could have found a virus, as he had switched the computer off as soon as he came in. We always run up-to-date virus software and are always very careful about viruses. We have never had a virus. I asked him why he had not mentioned the virus before and he replied "I am not going to argue with you", got up and walked out.

            I would NOT recommend Jose Cortez.

            --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "tom.trainer@..." <tom.trainer@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Ernie and Peg. Very complete response.
            >
            > --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Ernie and Peg Schlichtemeier <epslick@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I haven't used any of these, but had them in my notes from other expats.
            > > Xavier Méndezis an electrical engineering major at the Politechnical
            > > University of Cuenca. He can work on your PC, laptop or iPad. He can install
            > > equipment and take away viruses. Also, he can fix anything
            > > mechanical/electrical. Best of all, he speaks perfect English. xavier1687@
            > > or 08-403-5311.
            > > Williamis a US-trained computer tech, and electronics problem
            > > solver. He can repair most software and hardware, modify WII consoles and
            > > Playstation IIs. He also has computer parts and can custom-build computers to
            > > your specifications and to fit your needs. 09-863-2687.
            > > Jose Cortezrepairs computers and solves software problem. Jose can
            > > work with virus removal on PC and Mac. Speaks English very fluently. 245-5157,
            > > 09-5561077 or willmaya@
            > > Jonathancan help with your computer, getting connected to
            > > internet, or installing He is an American who attended college in Virginia but
            > > grew up in Cuenca. 08 482 2495 or jonathanmogrovejo@
            > > Ricardo Arteaga Iñiguezis a computer tech. Contact for advice and custom
            > > computer classes at home. profesor.informatica.ec@ 07-408-4174, 08-729-6667

          • David Wright