Buying Clothes and Shoes in Cuenca

  • whosforachat
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      I am moving to Cuenca in September, and wondered how easy it will be for me to buy clothes (want to keep the packing to minimum). I am about 6' (1.83m), average build and take shoes size 11 (US)/10½(UK)/45(Eur). I understand the Ecuadorians are generally a little shorter than us, and I am worried there might be nothing to fit me.

      Also, how cheap are clothes and shoes in Cuenca?
    • sin_duda
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "whosforachat" <tomtrainer@...> wrote:

        > I am moving to Cuenca in September, and wondered how easy it will be for me to buy clothes (want to keep the packing to minimum). I am about 6' (1.83m), average build and take shoes size 11 (US)/10½(UK)/45(Eur). I understand the Ecuadorians are generally a little shorter than us, and I am worried there might be nothing to fit me.
        >
        > Also, how cheap are clothes and shoes in Cuenca?

        You may have a difficult time as you are taller and your feet are bigger than availability here. Though I have seen some tall Ecuadorian men, too. Clothes can be relatively cheap...if you can find your size...or crazy expensive if they are imported. So brand names will cost more than in the US. You can also have lots of things made for you...suits, shirts, etc. at a price far less than you could have custom clothes made elsewhere.
      • Gregg Montaine
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
          Hi ...

          If you're an 11 ... you're at the limit of what's considered a large foot here.
          You'll have more luck in the Bahia in Guayaquil than you will in the
          Féria Libre of Cuenca ... but if you're shopping in Cuenca, check out
          the Féria Libre first.  Always.  And that goes for fresh fruits and
          vegetables.  Everything is cheaper ... hope your Spanish is coming
          along, because no one there speaks English.

          I'm a 13 ... and I import my shoes.
          I did purchase a pair that was my side at the Mall de Sol in Guayaquil ...
          some fancy dress shoes for $80 (with IVA) from Brazil ... but
          generally speaking, you will find that if you're not of a smaller size
          here, you soon enough get the feeling of being of another species
          when you shop for clothes.

          Greg