Re: So from what I am hearing Cuenca is not as safe as I thought it was...??

  • jimmydflorance
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30 6:18 AM
      Rhadd, what's a ka-bar or asp?
      Jimmy

      --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Rhadd Hunt <rhaddhunt@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > My asian girlfriend and I lived in Cuenca for 6 months and found it a delightful place to the point that we purchased land there. It has it's elements that you should be wary of for sure but then so does everywhere else that you might live. I always carried a ka-bar and an asp with me though it never became necessary to use them. If you use common sense and keep eyes open at all times you should be just fine.
      >
      > Your girlfriend will certainly draw attention (as did mine) but for the most part it won't cross a line. If she was ever used to drunken guys in a bar back home she will undoubtedly already be able to handle the worst that normally occurs in Ecuador. I'd suggest purchasing her some pepper spray or a small asp as a backup just in case.
      >
      > Beyond that enjoy and have a great time. As South America goes, Ecuador is one of the safer places that exists and spots like Cuenca are substantially safer than even some european cities that I've been to. Just keep a sharp eye and use good sense and you'll be fine.
      >
      > Rhadd

    • jimmydflorance
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 30 6:22 AM
        Rhadd, what's a ka-bar or a asp?
        Jimmy

        --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Rhadd Hunt <rhaddhunt@...> wrote:

        > Dave,
        >
        > My asian girlfriend and I lived in Cuenca for 6 months and found it a delightful place to the point that we purchased land there. It has it's elements that you should be wary of for sure but then so does everywhere else that you might live. I always carried a ka-bar and an asp with me though it never became necessary to use them. If you use common sense and keep eyes open at all times you should be just fine.
        >
        > Your girlfriend will certainly draw attention (as did mine) but for the most part it won't cross a line. If she was ever used to drunken guys in a bar back home she will undoubtedly already be able to handle the worst that normally occurs in Ecuador. I'd suggest purchasing her some pepper spray or a small asp as a backup just in case.
        >
        > Beyond that enjoy and have a great time. As South America goes, Ecuador is one of the safer places that exists and spots like Cuenca are substantially safer than even some european cities that I've been to. Just keep a sharp eye and use good sense and you'll be fine.
        >
        > Rhadd

      • Rhadd Hunt
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
          Jimmy,

          A Ka-Bar is the brand name of knife that is used by certain branches of the armed services. An asp is also known as a tactical baton. Essentially it is a metal stick that compacts into itself and telescopes out into a rigid bar when flicked.

          Hope this helps,