Moving to Cuenca: what should we bring?

  • whosforachat
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 12:35 PM
      My girlfriend and I are moving to Cuenca in September, and are wondering
      what we should bring with us. Is there any thing that is particularly
      difficult/expensive to get (bedding, electrical goods etc) in Cuenca?

      Also, is the local wired internet connection ADSL or cable? I am
      assuming I will need to bring my own router.

      Lastly, does anyone use Skype? I tried it from a Servientrega office in
      Salinas but couldn't make it work.

      Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
    • sin_duda
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 1:33 PM
        After living here for 1.5 years, right now I'm on a shopping spree because my son is heading this way later this month. Here are a few of my purchases:

        1. High quality down comforter...couple months each year, this is in order in Cuenca and the ones available here are crap and expensive.
        2. New Canon DSLR and lens. Prices are at least double here.
        3. Zyliss cheese grater. Do not exist here.
        4. Jeans. American brands are crazy expensive here. Try $177 for Tommy Hilfiger. Bought my cords for 'only' $95 each.

        Local internet totally depends on where you live. TV Cable is not wired for everyone, but has faster internet. ETAPA (phone company) peaks at 512kbps, but is more available. I don't understand 'my own router' If you want wireless, naturally.

        Everyone I know uses skype. I use it more for chat because I have Vonage for calls.

        --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, "whosforachat" <tomtrainer@...> wrote:

        > My girlfriend and I are moving to Cuenca in September, and are wondering
        > what we should bring with us. Is there any thing that is particularly
        > difficult/expensive to get (bedding, electrical goods etc) in Cuenca?
        >
        > Also, is the local wired internet connection ADSL or cable? I am
        > assuming I will need to bring my own router.
        >
        > Lastly, does anyone use Skype? I tried it from a Servientrega office in
        > Salinas but couldn't make it work.
        >
        > Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

      • Ivo Stainoff
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 6:55 PM
          Outside of high end digital cameras, everything else is at a comparable price to the US (bear in mind the quality of the product is not as good though).
          If there's one thing you'll want to bring, it is a CAR or 4x4 - 1997 Geo Tracker (in Cuenca Chevy Vitara) with multiple turns in either direction of the odometer sells for $9500 to $11000 - unfortunately importing used car in EC is impossible and a new one gets a 100% tariff (basically double the price) - start cycling - the best way around Cuenca

          cheers

          ps. haven't found feta cheese yet, but plenty of goat

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 1:14 AM
            Thanks sin_duda. Good tip about the comforter; we will definitely bring
            something for the colder months.

            With regard to "my own router", I need to know whether to bring a cable
            router or an ADSL router. We have several PCs, and I assumed routers
            will be expensive in Ecuador.

            Do you know if companies like Amazon deliver to Ecuador? And would mail
            order goods be subject to the same high import duties to which other
            goods seem subject?

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5 10:08 PM
              Hi Ivo,

              SuperMaxi sells feta, pretty good, too.

              --- In Cuenca_Ecuador@yahoogroups.com, Ivo Stainoff <ivocin@...> wrote:

              > Outside of high end digital cameras, everything else is at a comparable price to the US (bear in mind the quality of the product is not as good though).
              > If there's one thing you'll want to bring, it is a CAR or 4x4 - 1997 Geo Tracker (in Cuenca Chevy Vitara) with multiple turns in either direction of the odometer sells for $9500 to $11000 - unfortunately importing used car in EC is impossible and a new one gets a 100% tariff (basically double the price) - start cycling - the best way around Cuenca
              >
              > cheers
              >
              > ps. haven't found feta cheese yet, but plenty of goat

            • Gregg Montaine
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 7:55 AM
                Hey ...

                In Cuenca, you'll pay about $80 for Porta wireless
                internet.  It averages 400 kbps download; less upload.
                I also use as a primary internet service, TV / Cable.
                It's $99 per month for 1.2 Mbps -- but service can
                be iffy.   Good to have two services if you do extensive
                web work, as we do.  Forget Etapa.  The price is
                good, but we're not even talking broadband.
                Bring your router(s), not your modems.  They supply
                you with whatever modem(s) you need here.

                Hope this helps.

                GMontaine

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7 4:15 PM
                  Skype works just fine in Cuenca.

                  Check TVCable's business plan at $89 a month. 600kps Up and Down.  We had two major thunder storms this afternoon.  I lost TVCable's connection twice for a total of 5 minutes.  I can live with that.  If your girlfriend wants high thread count sheets and really fluffy towels you might want to bring those from the USA.  Everything else you can buy or have made in Cuenca.  Bring pictures of furniture you like and the artisans here can copy what you want for probably 35-40% of the US price.

                  BILL BUSHNELL
                  Skype: 201-984-1415
                  Ecuador Cell: 09-960-5306
                  International Cell: 917-860-1437
                  Snail Mail: Edificio San Isidro #5A
                  Remigio Tamariz y Augustin Cueva
                  Cuenca, Ecuador

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
                    Just heard from the current occupants of the apartment we are moving into in September, that the internet connection is very unreliable ("off more than it is on"). Is this common in Cuenca, and are there alternatives, such as wireless broadband, like they have on the coast? I think the apartment has cable.