Cuba Unlimited #21: "Let's Call It Cuba"

  • NY Transfer News
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1 2:44 PM
      Via NY Transfer News * All the News That Doesn't Fit

      source - "Cuba Unlimited" <cuba-unlimited@...>

      Let's Call It Cuba

      Cuba Unlimited - November 28, 2001

      Bringing Cuba to the World and the World to Cuba

      Editor's Note

      Dear subscriber,

      Surprise! Starting this issue we are including two new sections. One,
      placed at the beginning, is on current events in Cuba to keep you
      informed of important news. In this section we will include a link to
      more in-depth articles. The other new section, at the end of the
      newsletter, will describe changes and updates to our web site,

      This edition describes how Cuba got its name and how Havana was
      captured by the British in the 18th century. The articles are based
      on the writings of Fernando Ortiz, a leading Cuban ethnologist, and
      Emilio Roig de Leuchsenring, a former Historian of the City of

      The "chilly" air here (some nights it has gotten down to 19 C.or 66
      F.) stimulated this issue's weather report, and since we're all
      getting ready for the holiday season, I've included some tantalizing
      Christmas and New Year's offers.

      Our next issue will include a story of some beautiful downloadable
      music and other surprises.

      But first, enjoy this one!

      Table of Contents

      1.0 Current Events in Cuba
      1.1 Cuban Participation in the
      11th Iberian-American Summit

      2.0 Talking about Cuba
      2.1 Let's Call It Cuba
      2.2 Winter on the Way
      2.3 When Havana Was British

      3.0 Travelers Advice
      3.1 Airport Tax

      4.0 Our Recommendations
      4.1 Special Holiday Offers at the Habana Libre Tryp Hotel

      5.0 What's New At Cubalinda.com?

      1.0 Current Events in Cuba

      1.1 Cuban Participation in the
      11th Iberian-American Summit

      Cuba's message at the November 23-24 summit of chiefs of state from
      Spain, Portugal and the Latin American countries was one of peace and
      of condemnation of terrorism, war and the U.S. blockade of this
      country. President Castro for the first time did not attend because
      he was supervising the recovery program from damages caused by
      Hurricane Michelle. Instead, Cuba was represented by Carlos Lage
      Davila, the Vice-President of the Council of State and the architect
      of Cuba's economic recovery of the past ten years.

      Lage underlined Cuba's economic situation and its struggle to
      maintain social services at all costs, despite negative world
      economic conditions and the damages wrought by Hurrican Michelle.
      Matters of special interest to Cuba were discussed such as the need
      to respect international law.

      Concerning terrorism Lage repeated Cuba's rejection of this scourge
      in all its manifestations and forms. He also emphasized Cuba's
      rejection of the U.S. war in Afghanistan and the negative effects it
      is having on the economies of Latin America.

      The final statement of the summit, known as the Declaration of Lima,
      included a call for the United States to repeal the 1996 law known as
      Helms-Burton which tightened the economic embargo against Cuba and
      attempted to establish extra-territorial applications that have been
      universally rejected by the international community. Inclusion of
      this provision was of enormous importance to Cuba.

      More news: See

      Here you can get your flight ticket to and from Cuba, see
      our website for our offers and make your reservations now.

      Special packages at three price levels: Economic, Comfort and Top
      Quality. These offers represent discounts of 25% off normal prices
      and are valid until December 21, 2001.

      Know Cuba at your freedom of will, like the snail, carrying the house
      on your shoulders. You can decide, when and where to go in a
      Campertour, the Mercedes Benz Diesel auto caravans that is offered
      now by Cubalinda.com. For details, see the website.

      2.0 Talking about Cuba
      2.1 Let's Call It Cuba

      The island Columbus saw in 1492 had high mountains from which
      beautiful waterfalls fell, lush evergreen forests and a healthy
      population of Guanahacabibes, Tainos and Siboney natives. They called
      the island Cuba, but the great Admiral had such respect for the
      Spanish throne that he called it Juana at first, after Prince Don
      Juan. He thought he'd discovered the westernmost shores of Asia so he
      called the island's inhabitants Indians.

      Later the name was changed to Fernandina by a King named Fernando,
      although in the diary of his first voyage Columbus called the island
      "Cape Cuba." In 1556 the name "Cuba" first appeared officially in
      Spain, and from that day on, we've all called it Cuba.

      2.2 Winter on the Way

      >From now until January the temperature in Cuba will gradually drop to
      about 18-20°C (normally it oscillates around 28-30°C). Other seasons
      of the year aren't very different and the change is almost
      imperceptible. Now that the hurricane season is coming to an end, the
      bright tropical sun is out almost every day. It's a great time to
      stretch out on the magnificent beaches and get a tan while sipping
      chilled tropical juices and cocktails. Many Cubans prefer winter to
      the summer, but plenty of others long for the hot days of summer and
      get all bundled up at the slightest chilly breeze. Foreigners, on the
      other hand, are often seen in shorts this time of the year.

      It's cool mostly at night and the early morning, so some heavier fall
      clothing like sweaters, a light coat or a jacket should be packed.
      One never knows whether New Year's Eve will be frigid or balmy, but
      one thing for sure is that Cubans will celebrate it somewhere
      special, usually with family.

      2.3 When Havana Was British

      The British attack Cuba was not only conquered by the Spanish. In
      1762 Havana was ruled for 11 months by Great Britain. At that time
      the island was actually divided into two colonies: a small British
      portion in the West and the Spanish side to the East.

      On June 6th that year a British fleet arrived by surprise on the
      eastern and western flanks of Havana. Spanish Governor Prado
      Portocarrero decided to occupy the ridge known as La Cabana, send
      troops to Cojímar, and mobilize the people for war.

      While he was doing this, Sir Jorge Pockoc, Commodore Keppel and the
      young Count Albemarle led the British attack with 28 warships and 145
      transport vessels carrying 11 thousand men. Their strategy was to
      deploy troops and take Cojímar, Guanabacoa on the east side of Havana
      Bay, La Cabana ridge overlooking the city across the bay, and finally
      take the Morro fortress next to La Cabana at the entrance to Havana
      harbor. They took the first objectives and laid siege to the Morro.
      Spanish troops led by Captain Luis de Velasco resisted the siege for
      seven weeks.

      But the British astutely dug a tunnel, on July 29th blew a hole in a
      wall of the Morro, finally penetrated the fort and quickly won the
      battle. The defense of Guanabacoa was admirably carried out to the
      end by Cuban-born José Antonio Gómez (Pepe Antonio), and a Havana
      street was eventually named after him.

      Within two weeks Havana had fallen to its knees and surrender came on
      August 12th. Contrary to what many had thought, the English invasion
      was more of a blessing than a curse.

      The island, whose trade had been rigidly monopolized by the Spanish
      Crown, prospered when opened to the British system of commerce.
      Tobacco and sugar growers and livestock ranchers experienced a boom,
      and the prices of foreign goods dropped dramatically. As trade
      flourished, civil and legal administration remained pretty much the
      same, and the Catholic Church was not affected.

      The most important British contribution to Cuba was free trade, and
      that policy endured even when, the following year, the Spanish ceded
      Florida to Britain as a condition for ending their occupation. Cuba
      fully reverted to Spanish colonial rule, and in 1764 Spain began
      construction of their largest military fortification anywhere: the
      Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabana. The fort rose on the Cabana
      ridge from which the British put the Morro under siege, took ten
      years to build, never saw battle, and is now a major tourist
      attraction and site for trade fairs.

      3.0 Travelers Advice
      3.1 Airport Tax

      Within your travel budget to Cuba you should save $20 USD for the
      airport tax at the moment of your departure. It must be paid right
      after you check your bags, and must be in cash as no credit cards are
      accepted (even from non-U.S. banks).

      4.0 Our Recommendations
      4.1 Special Holiday Offers at the Habana Libre Tryp Hotel

      The final nights of December will be lavish at the Habana Libre
      Hotel. Every one of the former Hilton's restaurants will offer
      special dinners accompanied by spectacular music. Cubalinda invites
      you to fully enjoy this special moment. Make your reservation now!

      To find out about these restaurant offers see:

      5.0 What's New At Cubalinda.com?

      -SPECIAL PROMOTION: Some of you may not have seen our special
      promotion of get-away travel to Cuba as the safest country in the
      world and as a relief from the anxieties and fears caused by the
      international crisis, terrorism and the war in Afghanistan. We are
      offering 3 packages that you can begin any day you like: 4 days and 3
      nights in Havana, 8 days and 7 nights in Havana, and 4 days and 3
      nights in Havana plus 4 days and 4 nights in Varadero. Take a look.
      The prices are discounted 25% or more. One easy click from

      -We have also begun a section of our site for reports and articles on
      current events in Cuba and on matters that affect Cuba. If you point
      at General Info you'll get a link to "Hot News About Cuba. The URL is
      http://www.cubalinda.com/English/General_Info/HotNewsCuba.asp. The
      latest topics covered are efforts to end the U.S. ban on travel to
      Cuba; the damages and recovery efforts due to Hurricane Michelle; and
      the first sale of food and other products by U.S. companies to Cuba
      in 40 years. We will be adding and deleting information as we go

      -Our section entitled "Special Info for U.S. Citizens" is now up to
      date with the latest on travel by Americans to Cuba without licenses
      and without fear of having to pay a fine. This is a story universally
      censored in the U.S. press and about which the public affairs office
      of the Office of Foreign Assets Control, the Treasury Department
      division that polices the travel ban, refuses to comment, even to the
      Associated Press. The URL is

      -We now have on our web site the information you need for renting a
      car in Cuba, including types and prices. You can also click for a
      page that will give the all you need to know about the procedure for
      renting cars here, unfortunately not the quickest, smoothest or
      consumer-friendliest system in the world and certainly not what
      you're used to. But once you've got the car (whew!) you're free to
      drive all over this island and enjoy Cuba at your own pace. You can
      start at

      Bulletin edited by Joselin Odales
      English version Mike Fuller

      We hope you enjoyed this issue.

      If you find this information valuable, please feel
      free to send it to your friends.

      We are open to your comments and suggestions. Tell us what you think
      about this issue and if there is anything else you would like to know
      about travelling to Cuba. For this purpose, please send us a message
      to mktg@...

      Cubalinda.com Inter-Active Travel
      "Bringing Cuba to the World and the World to Cuba"
      E-mail: info@..., http://www.cubalinda.com,
      Tel: (53-7) 553 980, Fax: (53-7) 553 686
      Address: Calle E #158 apt. 4A e/ Calzada y 9na.
      Plaza de la Revolucion 10400. CUBA

      NY Transfer News Collective * A Service of Blythe Systems
      Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us
      339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012
      http://www.blythe.org e-mail: nyt@...