Housekeeping notes

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      Please note that since my return to Cuba two weeks ago, I'm working on a dialup
      internet connection. This means that my ability to scour the internet for news and
      views on Cuba is substantially more difficult. It's slower, much slower than I and
      most readers of these messages are used to. Also, my ability to respond quickly
      to mail, and to moderate postings to the CubaNews list is also a lot slower than
      both of us (me as editor, you as reader) are used to. I'm sorry about that, but
      nothing can be done except your patience will be appreciated.

      Since my return I'm settling in and getting some impressions of how life is and
      how it's changed since I left here at the end of August 2006. I'm planning to
      write something about that in a bit, but basically there's been nothing of major
      significance since that time. Change, such as occurs here in Cuba, is occurring
      at what we might well call a glacial pace. This is precisely what I noted when
      Fidel took ill after those speeches in Bayamo and then Holguin last July, and
      nothing which has taken place since then has altered that impression.

      More to come in time.

      Walter Lippmann
      Havana, Cuba