VENEZUELA: Rosales Outlines His Plan for Government

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

      Venezuelanalysis - Oct 30, 2006
      http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2122

      Opposition Candidate Manuel Rosales Outlines His Plan for Government

      By Steven Mather

      Caracas, Venezuelan, October 30, 2006 (Venezuelanalysis.com) - Manuel
      Rosales, the opposition candidate for the Venezuelan presidential elections
      on December 3, presented his plan for government last week. He is
      proposing a program he says will produce a new social democracy in
      Venezuela, which will be a fairer and more equal society.

      Rosales divided his plan into 5 different policy areas. These are
      political-institutional, social, economic, foreign and environmental
      policy. In the political-institutional field he promised to reform the
      National Assembly incorporating a system of proportional representation, so
      deputies from minority parties would have a voice in the body. He also
      plans to reduce the presidential term from 6 to 4 years with only one
      re-election permitted for any president.

      He said the proportional representation was the essence of a democratic
      system, and added that, from there we will advance in the transformation of
      powers in Venezuela, in their autonomy, so that nobody has doubts about the
      public ministry, about the judicial power, electoral power and the rights
      of the people. Regarding the reduction of the presidential term he said
      that, Eight years of governing is sufficient for a government to complete
      its programs and proposals.

      If he is elected, Rosales said his social policy would be carried out with
      the aim of providing Venezuelans with the physical and intellectual
      capacity to overcome their poverty. This will require the integration of
      health, social security, housing, personal security, culture and sport.

      His economic policy will be based on respect of private property, which
      will act as a stimulus for private investment and will promote a strong
      industrial policy to develop the electricity, agricultural, gas & petroleum
      and tourist industries.

      He was equally vague about his foreign policy proposals saying that he
      would consider Venezuela's involvement in all international schemes but
      would not enter into anything that would, damage our country, or that
      brings us close to terrorism of the axis of evil, he said.

      Finally, he said he wanted to preserve the environment through policies
      that, will concentrate our effort on improving the environment, whether it
      is water, air, or waste disposal. We will apply strict policies to manage
      the mining areas and in the protection of the national parks, which we will
      carry out with the promotion of ecotourism.

      His campaign manager, Teodoro Petkoff, praised Rosales for providing a
      solid set of policies that give Venezuelans a clear choice on December 3,
      One of the distinct aspects in the campaign of the democratic leader
      [Rosales] is that it is not a campaign of empty slogans or a campaign of
      Out with Chávez, he has said Here I am and Here is what I will do in
      government, said Petkoff.

      However, the Vice-President of the National Assembly, Desirée Santos Amaral
      says his policy of creating a new parliament was tinted with hints of a
      coup.

      This may point to a strong criticism of Rosales which damages his
      democratic credentials. In 2002 President Chávez was briefly overthrown in
      a coup. The following day those involved signed the infamous Carmona
      Decree which dissolved the National Assembly and the Supreme Court.
      Rosales was one of the signatories to the decree and although he maintains
      this was an honest mistake and that he had the good of the country in mind,
      he remains tainted by his actions.

      Rosales remains way behind in the polls, most of [which] put him at
      least 30 points behind President Chávez.

      *