'Our History' at Asian American Studies event (The Milit ant)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2006
      Vol. 70/No. 14 April 10, 2006

      ‘Our History’ at Asian American Studies event

      BY BILL ARTH

      ATLANTA—A team of volunteers staffed a booth displaying books
      published by Pathfinder Press at the March 22-26 meeting of the
      Association for Asian American Studies. More than 400 professors and
      students registered for the conference. Workshops covered topics
      related to the Asian diaspora, responsibilities of Asian American
      academics in world politics, labor migration to the United States,
      conditions facing Asian American women, and much more.

      The Pathfinder booth included a broad range of titles, and
      highlighted its numerous books on the Cuban Revolution. Of special
      interest to the participants was the new Pathfinder title, Our
      History is Still Being Written: The Story of Three Chinese-Cuban
      Generals in the Cuban Revolution. A total of 22 copies were sold at
      the conference.

      One professor who purchased a copy said that he had recently written
      a book on the immigration of Chinese workers from Cuba to Louisiana
      to work on sugar plantations in the 19th Century, and was glad to see
      a book on the little-documented Chinese immigration to Cuba. Many of
      the scholars who visited the booth noted how little had been written
      on this subject.

      Numerous conference participants signed up for follow-up visits from
      Pathfinder sales representatives to discuss classroom adoptions and
      library acquisitions of the new book and other Pathfinder titles.

      Jim Rogers, Jeff Powers, and Gale Shangold contributed to this
      article.