Cuba: Pedroso delight. UK-Helms Burton. Our Mailbag

  • John Clancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2000
      from: jclancy@...
      subject: Cuba: Pedroso delight. UK-Helms Burton. Our Mailbag.
      Granma Internacional Digital

      PlazaGI. La Habana, 26 de septiembre de 2000

      Pedroso: Now I want to break the nine-meter barrier

      SYDNEY, September 28 (EFE).- After Cuban Iván Pedroso had

      been crowned the new long jump Olympic champion, with a mark

      of 8.55 meters, he told the press that he would like "to break the

      impossible nine meter barrier."

      The three-time world outdoor champion and four-time indoor

      world titleholder added, "Now I've won the title I was lacking. I

      already had the world titles, but not the Olympic title. I've

      competed in three Olympic Games, but at Barcelona I lacked

      experience and I was injured for the Atlanta games. On this

      occasion my time arrived. It had to be this time.

      "The last jump was difficult and Australian Jai Taurima had a good

      day, so I can say that this was one of the best competitions that I

      have been in," confirmed Pedroso. "I never want it to come down to
      the last jump. I almost always set good marks during
      the early jumps, but I have problems with my takeoff and so some
      jumps are declared fouls," explained the Cuban athlete, who confirmed
      that for him, "Carl Lewis was the best ever jumper in history.

      Otros Sitios
      * Sydney 2000-Cuba
      * Agencia de Información Prensa Latina * UOL España
      * Medallero Sydney 2000 * Sitio Oficial. Olimpiada Sydney 2000
      /Inglés * Yupi Deportes * El Mundo de los Juegos
      SUBIR
      [ Retorno al Periódico ]
      Revista Digital de Granma Internacional Digital
      © Copyright GRANMA INTERNACIONAL DIGITAL. La Habana. Cuba. 2000

      **************

      sender: jclancy@...
      subject: British Gov't opposes HelmsBurton.

      September 28, 2000
      British government opposes Helms-Burton

      * Productive visit by Baroness Patricia Scotland, British deputy
      foreign minister

      DURING a brief stay on the island, Baroness Patricia Scotland,
      British deputy foreign minister, described bilateral trade with Cuba
      as not only important but also creative and active.

      She stated to the Cuban press that part of her interest was
      continuing to vitalize the British presence in Cuba, not only in
      trade, but also in the flow of tourists to the island. She expressed
      her pleasure with the steps being taken for a renegotiation of Cuba's
      debt with the Paris Club, and highlighted as yet unexploited trade
      possibilities.

      With regard to existing cooperation, she commented that she had been
      impressed by her visit to the Finlay Institute, where she viewed the
      collaboration between the scientific center and the British firm
      SmithKline Beecham, noting that it is work which can potentially
      benefit many people in the world.

      In the last five years the number of British tourists has grown at a
      rate of 20% and it is estimated that there will be 100,000 British
      visitors to the island this year, given that the number already
      exceeds 60,000, it was reported in her meeting with Cuban Minister
      of Tourism Ibrahim Ferradaz. Also discussed were possibilities of
      developing multi-destination trips through agreements within the
      Caribbean region.

      Baroness Scotland stated that the British government disagrees with
      the extraterritorial nature of the Helms-Burton Act and affirmed her
      government's belief that the legislation is wrong. Therefore, she
      said, they take a very different path and are not going to change
      their position. She stated that it is neither correct nor just that
      companies are prohibited from trading with Cuba, which is within
      their legitimate rights.

      During a meeting with Government Minister Ricardo Cabrisas, he
      explained Cuba's decision not to participate in the new agreement
      between the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific Group (ACP) and the
      European Union, stating that Cuba was prepared to dialogue frankly
      and openly but without conditions.

      Cabrisas and the British deputy minister agreed to continue bilateral
      conversations next December in London, at the offices of the weekly
      Cuba Initiative, published by Baroness Janet Mary Young, who has
      visited the island on several occasions.

      The British deputy minister was invited by Foreign Minister Felipe
      Pérez Roque, who received her on her arrival to the island. During
      her stay, she signed a letter of intent, a document considered the
      first step for a prisoner exchange agreement planned for next year.

      The accord will facilitate the rehabilitation of offenders,
      permitting them to serve sentences in the country where they are
      citizens.

      Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Angel Dalmau signed the letter of
      intent on behalf of Cuba, describing their cooperation in the fight
      against drugs as excellent.

      During a meeting with Cuba's minister of justice, Baroness Scotland
      announced that in order to confront the illicit trafficking of
      narcotics, the British government had designated an official from its
      country's customs office to work for a three-month period with the

      corresponding Cuban institution at the Havana and Varadero airports.

      * NEWS * INTERNATIONAL * SPORT * CULTURAL * This WEEK * FROM OUR
      MAILBAG * OUR AMERICA * ARTS IN THE WORLD * MORE INFORMATION ON THE
      SOUTH SUMMIT
      Javier Sotomayor | Documentos | Revistas |
      Correo-E | Inglés | Francés | Portugués | Alemán
      © Copyright. 1996-2000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. GRANMA INTERNATIONAL/
      ONLINE EDITION

      *****************

      from: jclancy@...
      subject: Cuba -From our Mailbag
      © Copyright. 1996-2000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. GRANMA INTERNATIONAL/
      ONLINE EDITION
      September 28, 2000

      FROM OUR MAILBAG
      BY MARELYS VALENCIA (Granma International staff writer)

      * ANITA Jackson, from London, wrote us a letter describing how much
      she enjoyed her stay
      in Cuba. She says that her introduction to
      the island was through the music of Buena Vista
      Social Club and the documentary film made
      about the group. She then felt she wanted to
      know much more about Cuba.

      "First impressions were, as follows:

      "The courtesy extended to visitors to your country, which starts at
      the arrival point at Havana
      airport. So different from the introduction
      to USA airports, where all visitors are treated as
      potential criminals!"

      "The high standard of education of the people I met. Even in the
      country areas, people spoke
      a little English...

      "The charm and good manners of all the Cuban people I met. This
      includes hotel staff, taxi
      drivers, tour guides, stall holders in the
      Havana market, restaurant staff, in particular the
      patrons of the paladares [family-owned
      restaurants]."

      Anita also praises the restoration of Havana, given the conservation
      of cultural heritage it
      implies, and the progress achieved in rural
      areas. She also expresses her concerns that the
      growth of tourism can contaminate and
      dominate society and encourages Cubans to protect
      their country's "special appeal."

      GLOBALIZATION AND THE WORLD YOUTH FESTIVAL

      Jorge A. Vásquez, a student at the University of Cali, Colombia,
      comments on the necessity to
      confront a particular phenomenon of
      globalization. "The interference of economic globalization
      policies has brought ominous consequences
      for the social development of our people, their
      education and health. I would say that two
      decades have been lost.

      "The day must arrive when Latin America shows its greatness, which is
      deposited in the hands
      of today's youth. Encounters like the 15th
      World Youth Festival which will take place in
      Algeria in the summer of 2001 are great
      opportunities offered by this historic moment, to go
      from awareness of a common problem towards
      taking concrete action to find viable solutions
      within our limitations."

      RECEIVED WITH THANKS

      Messages about President Fidel Castro's speech at the Millennium
      Summit continue to arrive.
      Kim Prater of the United States tells us
      that she enjoyed seeing that Fidel and hearing the
      speech he delivered at the UN. "He was very
      refreshing, direct and to the point with emphasis
      on the key issues, too. I wish I could have
      been there, but I read the papers and watched the
      news. I would love to receive a copy of the
      speech he made at the church in Harlem* God
      bless you all." Send us your mailing address
      so that we can send you a copy of the speech.

      Doris Torres of New York states: "I feel it is an honor to have Fidel
      in New York. I respect
      and admire him, and think if Puerto Rico had
      had a man like him, it would not be a colony of
      the United States today. There are those who
      say that this is the land of democracy, but it is
      not true. As everyone knows, presidencies in
      this country are bought and sold by the
      transnational companies."

      Also from the United States, Carlos, who does not give his last name,
      comments, "The speech
      was truly inspired and moving. It fills me
      with happiness to know that in this afflicted and
      mistreated world there is still a soul
      prepared to defend the most sacred human right: to live
      with dignity and liberty."

      Another reader from the United States, Dennis Laumann, would like to
      read Fidel's speech at
      the United Nations. He can read it in
      English on our website.

      Laura Hadley from Phoenix, Arizona, says that she loves our online
      edition. "It seems to look
      a bit different in recent months, and it
      looks beautiful. I hope that you keep putting the English
      version on the Internet because Granma is an
      excellent way for Cuban sympathizers like
      myself to know what's going on in your
      country."

      Manuel Alberto López, from Honduras, wishes the Cuban Revolution
      success and states that
      one of his dreams is to visit the country.

      Evora Alentejo, from Portugal, writes about her visit to Cuba, saying
      she learned about the
      roots of the Revolution through the
      roundtables broadcast on Cuban television and from
      Fidel's August 5 speech in Pinar del Río.
      "We returned to Portugal with the certainty that the
      Cuban people's struggle is a just one, and
      ready to show our solidarity."

      * NEWS * INTERNATIONAL * SPORT * CULTURAL * This WEEK * FROM OUR
      MAILBAG * OUR AMERICA * ARTS IN THE WORLD * MORE INFORMATION ON THE
      SOUTH SUMMIT

      Javier Sotomayor | Documentos | Revistas | Correo-E | Inglés |
      Francés | Portugués | Alemán

      © Copyright. 1996-2000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. GRANMA INTERNATIONAL/
      ONLINE EDITION " JC