Olga Pertierra: Impressions of my trip to Cuba

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2004
      (Thanks to Dana Lubow for this translation.)

      Olga Pertierra: Impressions of my trip to Cuba
      Cubadebate La Habana

      Impressions of my trip to Cuba
      Olga Pertierra 05-22-2004

      I left Cuba in 1961. Before returning this past March, my
      thinking was that, if I should die, I wished to be buried
      on Cuban soil so that the earth of my country would cover
      me, the same way the great poet Carilda Oliver Labra
      desired. She said, "I will not save a little homeland with
      me, I want it all over my grave."

      I was obsessed with this idea and it made me return to
      Cuba. I wanted to visit the cemetery where my father was
      buried, and to see the place where some day they were going
      to bury me. My son, José Ignacio joined me and helped me to
      carry it out. But when I arrived in Cuba, the idea of death
      receded. I felt so happy being here… The environment that I
      found was so friendly that I forgot my mournful thoughts
      and told my son, "No, I am not going to die now. I want to
      return again to Cuba to enjoy life here."

      I Cuba I found a fraternity that didn't exist before. The
      Cubans are united by a bond of love and by friendliness.
      Mutual aid exists. The desire to overcome prevails. They
      don't have many material goods, and yet they offer small
      gifts. Nobody feels superior to the rest. And I believe
      that all this is due to the Revolution.

      This behavior, which didn't exist before, truly surprised
      me. I can testify to it.

      The Cubans study, read, overcome and they have achieved
      with dignity the goal of living in a Cuba free of ties,
      despite a criminal blockade ordered by the American
      government, in the name of a supposed democracy. In name of
      that supposed democracy, it punishes children depriving
      them of food. It punishes the sick depriving them of
      medicine. It punishes those who remain in their country and
      don't search for their fortune in another country. Is that
      democracy? The attitude of the American government and the
      dignified answer of the Cubans, made me remember the brave
      Indian Hatuey, when the Spanish were going to burn him
      alive for rebelling against them. Moments before burning
      him at the stake, they asked him if he wanted to receive
      communion in order to be able to go to heaven. Hatuey asked
      if the Spanish also went to heaven. They answered
      affirmatively, and the dignified Hatuey answered, "If the
      Spanish are going to heaven, then I don't want to go."

      I have always believed in democracy and I have appreciated
      all of its value, but if it is used as a shield to cover up
      evil, then I don't want that supposed democracy because it
      stops having an ethical meaning and stops being a
      democracy.