Aristide: 'I was kidnapped. Tell the world it is a coup'

  • Fred Feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      Monday, March 1st, 2004:
      Democracy Now

      http://www.democracynow.org/

      EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS:

      PRESIDENT ....

      'I WAS KIDNAPPED' 'TELL THE WORLD IT IS A COUP'
      Monday, March 1st, 2004:
      Democracy Now

      http://www.democracynow.org/

      EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS:

      PRESIDENT ....

      'I WAS KIDNAPPED' 'TELL THE WORLD IT IS A COUP'

      Multiple sources that just spoke with Haitian President Jean-Bertrand
      Aristide told Democracy Now! that Aristide says he was "kidnapped" and
      taken by force to the Central African Republic. Congressmember Maxine
      Waters said she received a call from Aristide at 9am EST. "He's
      surrounded by military. It's like he is in jail, he said. He says he was
      kidnapped," said Waters. She said he had been threatened by what he
      called US diplomats. According to Waters, the diplomats reportedly told
      the Haitian president that if he did not leave Haiti, paramilitary
      leader Guy Philippe would storm the palace and Aristide would be killed.
      According to Waters, Aristide was told by the US that they were
      withdrawing Aristide's US security. TransAfrica founder and close
      Aristide family friend Randall Robinson also received a call from the
      Haitian president early this morning and confirmed Waters account.
      Robinson said that Aristide "emphatically" denied that he had resigned.
      "He did not resign," he said. "He was abducted by the United States in
      the commission of a coup." Robinson says he spoke to Aristide on a cell
      phone that was smuggled to the Haitian president.

      Developing...

      http://www.democracynow.org/