Re: [CubaNews] WASHINGTON TIMES: CARDENAS: Exposing a shady cover-up in Cuba

  • bellaestevez@...
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2013
      Mr. Cardenas well known Miami politician is joking. TWO MONTHS after been in Spain and acting after Mr. Paya's daughter public accusation of the Cuban government cover up of how her father died, is when Mr. Carromero tells a different story of how this accident happened, Mr. Cardenas wants the UN to start investigating on the matter. Thank God, this is the type of enemy of the Cuban Revolution has.
      JME
      ============================
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2013
        When articles appear in places like the Nuevo Herald or Miami Times that are pure fabrications for the most part, one always has to debate with oneself whether it's even worth bothering to respond.

        There are too many lies spread by the corporate and capitalist governments' propaganda machine to even come close to responding to all of them.

        But the sad thing is that too many people will read this in a variety of media and believe it. So it's at least worthwhile to remind those of you who have to constantly refute these lies what the real facts are.

        POINTS:

        -- There is absolutely no evidence other than the Paya family's, and now Carramero's, unsupported claims that a Cuban government vehicle rammed the one Carramero was driving;

        --. such claims directly contradict all eye-witness testimony of everyday people who witnessed the accident as well as local police investigation, which indicate that the car went out of control not "unprompted by anything....on a lonely country road" but at a well-marked place on the highway where road construction was taking place. Carromero was speeding way beyond the speed limit according to various eyewitness testimony and did not slow down when he reached the point where markers indicated road construction was beginning.

        This is not surprising since anyone who is interested in verifying the following (which the Washington Times obviously is not) can learn that Carromero has a long history of penalties for dangerously high-speed driving in his native Spain. In fact his license was taken away because of it.

        -- Interestingly Aron Modig, the other rightwing European political activist [from Sweden] who was in the car, has made no such claims since he was released and allowed to return to his country, nor has he jumped to back up Carromero's new claim .

        -- Caramero now says that he was convicted in a "kangaroo court"- which means, according to his new statements, that he perjured himself under oath to get a lighter sentence. According to the WT he and his partner should not have been "held responsible for Paya and Cepero's deaths".

        But WT ignores the fact that the two Cuban political opponents were in the car of the supposed European "tourists" because the four were trying to get to Guantanamo to view the trial of other Cuban political opponents -- something "tourists" shouldn't have been doing in the first place, and which Paya and Cepero wouldn't have had the means to get to if it weren't for Carromero and Modig renting a tourist car to take the others to. So both directly and indirectly, Carromero and Modig were responsible for the deaths of Paya and Cepero.

        -- It is not surprising the the Bush administration appointee to the US government's propaganda wing, US Information Agency, ends with a paragraph filled with the most rightwing trash about Cuba, nor that it has the means to disseminate those lies throughout the world (as they once did with the book they ghost-wrote for ex-Cuban terrorist Armando Valladares).

        All we can do is hope that those who know what Cuba is really like will gather the information necessary to refute such baseless accusations and respond with blogs, letters to the editor, and to their own lists wherever such articles appear.

        klw
        (Saying he wants all the facts, Jose Cardenas can't even get this man's NAME right. It's Angel Carromero, not Carrameo.)
        WASHINGTON TIMES
        CARDENAS: Exposing a shady cover-up in Cuba
        The truth about dissidents’ killings confronts the U.N.

        Although the so-called assault weapons ban bill was shelved, will Democrats pay a steep price for pushing it come 2014?

        More than 60 dignitaries and pro-democracy advocates from around the world have signed an open letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon requesting that the world body conduct an investigation into the tragic deaths of Cuban dissidents Osvaldo Paya and Harold Cepero in an automobile accident in July 2012. It's the least anyone can do.

        The letter was prompted by a tour of European capitals by Paya's daughter, Rosa Maria, and the blockbuster revelations by Spanish political activist Angel Carrameo, who was with Paya and Cepero at the time of the accident. Now out of Cuba, Mr. Carrameo went public with the truth [sic] that the accident was caused by a Cuban state security vehicle that rammed the car in which they were riding, forcing it off the road into a tree. The two Europeans survived, but Paya and Cepero, sitting in the back of the car, were killed.

[...]

        Este mensaje le ha llegado mediante el servicio de correo electronico =
        que ofrece Infomed para respaldar el cumplimiento de las misiones del Sistem=
        a Nacional de Salud. La persona que envia este correo asume el compromiso de=
        usar el servicio a tales fines y cumplir con las regulaciones establecidas=

        Infomed: http://www.sld.cu/